strs or crypt - which had best exam results this year?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum23*

strs or crypt - which had best exam results this year?

Post by mum23* »

I just had a quick look at the crypt website and the exam results look mighty good. Are they better than Tommies this year? Don't know too much about the boys schools as I have got 2 DDs at DR and Ribston (very different girls). I am just beginning to think about boys schools for my DS (would sit test next year)Any experiences to share would be appreciated. I will probably go to the open evenings but missed the Pates one this time. Thanks all.
Milla

Re: strs or crypt - which had best exam results this year?

Post by Milla »

I think the Crypt website is much better than the Tommy's one which is woefully out of date - it seems they've not got round to recording last year's results on it, let alone this year's. In the results published in the paper - Telegraph, local paper etc, Tommy's seemed to be third (with Pate's top and Stroud High 2nd, I think) making Tommy's the top all boys' school but don't quote me on that.
I'd e-mailed them earlier about something else to do with a poor website and this is further grist to the mill.
I think that last year Crypt did better than Tommy's, but that this was the other way round again this year. Certainly there seems always to be rivalry between the schools, at cricket and rugby matches anyway.
I suppose with things this close then you choose the one you like the best / is nearest for you. We didn't consider it as far too far away so I've no useful opinion to give on the place other than 2 good friends teach there and I wish they taught at Tommy's!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

When we looked into both schools two years ago I liked both. Results wise Tommy's had the edge in Maths, Science and poss languages, but don't quote me on that one, whereas Crypt was doing better in English.

The head of English at The Crypt really impressed me but since then Tommy's also has a new head of English so it will be interesting to see a break down of this years results. They will be in the brochure that you will receive on the Open days.

Totally agree with you Milla about Tommy's website, an absolute pain if you want to check what is going on.
Milla

Post by Milla »

Tolstoy wrote:Totally agree with you Milla about Tommy's website, an absolute pain if you want to check what is going on.
Click on the contact us button and let them know! surely if people complain about it something might be done. The Pate's one is great, plus they actively encourage you to e-mail (somehow being "allowed" to, I haven't yet abused it!) and give you e-mail addresses for form tutor / head of year. Plus it's forever changing and keeping you up to date. Compared to that rotten old dull "out of date before you get it" 'Showreel.'
Sorry this is a bit OT, apart from it WAS spurred by seeing how much better the website at Crypt is which is an involving and good thing.
allovernow

Post by allovernow »

Slightly off the original topic I guess, but I agree totally with the comments about the respective websites. I thought the Pates site was looking dated until they released their updated one a few days ago - now it looks great. DS has used it a lot and you can see the content changing constantly. Their intranet (PLATO) is also excellent and you can tell it is used heavily by the pupils and staff. Crypt's site is also pretty good and, crucially, up to date - especially important at this time of year.

STRS by contrast is, imho, dreadful. Who designed and maintains that - the LEA ? It needs a serious makeover. Of course the aesthetics are subjective, but the material is woefully lacking. Here's some examples :-

1. The home page banner is still saying "Pupils are reminded that term starts on Friday 3rd September at 8.40am. " - it's now 13 days later !
2. The school prospectus (http://www.strschool.co.uk/contact/Scho ... pectus.pdf) is quoting old information (e.g. "The County Council will post confirmation of the secondary school places to all Year 6 parents for receipt on Monday 1st March 2010.") - ????
3. Clicking on "Rugby Tour" in the navigation bar takes you to http://www.strschool.co.uk/frameset.htm ... orums.org/ - which is in turn a dead page.

I think STRS is, academically, a great school but they really need to address this - impressions count !
Milla

Post by Milla »

yes, terrible. For what's happening this week they take you to May and, as I said, when trying to hunt down results it's 2008. Rubbish. Trouble is when I e-mailed to complain, I thumped the wrong key and sent it to the school sec, rather than the IT dept. Ooops.
Back to OP I do think that the practicalities / feel are going to be the thing to go on for you since the results seem pretty much of a muchness. Although it could be argued that Crypt have done better since historically you need a higher mark to get into Tommy's so one could say that they haven't made as big a leap as Crypt??
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

I totally agree with the website thing! Today is first time I have looked at them and the Tommies site is poor, really needs updating. Hadn't really considered Crypt before, but the website is good which is partly why I asked about how the school's compare. I am going to look round at the open days I think. DD2 passed for DR and Ribston but we all thought Ribston would suit her better - sporty and dance mad. People on the forum are right it is definitely "horses for courses".
cheltgirl

Post by cheltgirl »

Websites are useful, but it's what goes in on school that matters.
The HSFG site is often way out of date, but, hey, the school gets great results and my daughter is happy there.

Pates may have a wizz site, but after going round the school our daughter said she didn't like it. Of course, it suits some, but we agreed with her there's something we can't put our finger on about the place.

Last night's prize giving at the Cathedral only confirmed she'd made the right choice to go to HSFG.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

My DS is at Crypt-year 9.

Their GCSE results in 2009 were better than Tommies and,according to the Telegraph,were the best in Gloucestershire(this fact was on the front page of the website for many a month!!) .However you are talking about extremely small percentage differences here,and the 100% in 2009 has gone down to 99% in 2010 for 5+ GCSE passes including English and Maths.

I think you really need to visit and get a feel for the school-I got a better view during the open day when compared to the open evening.You need to look past the old buildings-these put my DS son off the school initially,and Tommies do have more modern buildings. There is indeed a very healthy element of competition between the two schools-I have witnessed this many times on the cricket pitch! It's all down to what you and your DS want out of a school....

GM
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Gloucestermum, what do you think Crypt does well or what sort of boy does it suit? Is it more sporty than STRS or arty etc? I could tell with the girls grammars which would suit my very different DDs so I suppose the look round will be the thing. Thought I might find it useful to hear why others went for the school they chose. What about the boy on the Crypt website with 12 1/2 A* and an A at GCSE while competing at international level!!! amazing.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now