11 Plus and private school exams

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tubby

11 Plus and private school exams

Post by tubby »

Hello all,

I am panicking here, my DD is in year 5 and would be sitting for the exams, i think in a year's time, l live in Redbridge, my problem is when should she start proper tutoring for the 11 plus, and the private school exams. She has two private tutors now an 1 hour each for english and maths, one for Maths and English. Which books would you recommend for maths and English, she would start verbal and non verbal next year Jan, just need to get her maths and English up to scratch really. For the two core subject what should the tutors be forcing on?

Thanks
Milla

Re: 11 Plus and private school exams

Post by Milla »

hi, I don't know about Redbridge, or the requirements for your region but I would say that I, personally (naive as I might be!) have never heard of 2 tutors a week, for different subjects, at this age. I'm assuming (and please don't take this amiss) that this is for real because there really is no cause for alarm. One, I think, to leave the baby on for.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
tubby

Post by tubby »

Hi Milla, thanks for your response, we decided on two tutors so that she can have a full hour of each subject from past experience the tutors we used spent more time on maths then english for £25 per hour, we decided to employ the help of tutors specializing in each subjects, costing us the same amount spread over 2 days, and she is not complaining yet. She does a lot of other activities outside of school that she enjoys,not just 11plus work. I do understand, but from what others are saying year 5 is the best, and also what i have experienced from my son.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

tubby wrote:Hello all,

I am panicking here, my DD is in year 5 and would be sitting for the exams, i think in a year's time, l live in Redbridge, my problem is when should she start proper tutoring for the 11 plus, and the private school exams. She has two private tutors now an 1 hour each for english and maths, one for Maths and English. Which books would you recommend for maths and English, she would start verbal and non verbal next year Jan, just need to get her maths and English up to scratch really. For the two core subject what should the tutors be forcing on?

Thanks
Hi Tubby. Not sure why you're panicking. If your DD is already having tutoring in English and Maths then you are doing more than many. I think typically people start tutoring for 11+ a year beforehand. I would assume that you will stick with her current tutors and just ask them to start aiming towards entrance papers for the independent schools.

Surely your tutors know what they should be focusing on and can advise you on books? In all cases, for maths it's advisable to have a really solid grasp of times tables to work on problem-solving skills and to make sure your child gets to cover the year 6 syllabus in time. For English, plenty of reading and vocabulary work - which is best through through plenty more reading! :D

A helpful book is the New First Aid in English by Angus McIver, although I see from another thread that is is currently unavailable on Amazon.

Anyway, don't panic. Let your DD's tutors know what her goals are and see what advice they give.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Forgot to say - have you seen that there's a Redbridge thread on this forum?