Preparing for 11+ exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mohamed

Preparing for 11+ exams

Post by Mohamed »

I would appreciate feedback from parents/tutors of successful candidates about approximate length of time, or shall I say minimum time needed to pass 11 plus tests. Obviously, more is better but would it be possible say in 2 to 3 months, using crash course method? or do you think it'd be an impossible task, even with a good tutor?

I left it too late :oops:
greenvallley

Re: Preparing for 11+ exams

Post by greenvallley »

Which schools are you trying for as the exams do vary in subjects and techniques?
Has your dc had any practice of 11+ eg Bond books or are you just starting off?
We started in the beginning of Year 5 but reading the forum, many people do start later.
tense

Post by tense »

Certainly not impossible nor too late if your DC is bright enough. I am a big fan of this forum but if I'd found it earlier than I did (which was about a month before my DD sat the tests) I would have freaked out at the amount of tutoring some children get & begged Herts CC to let me change my preferences!

If your DC is in top sets, had 3 level 5s in Year 5, & is willing to practice for some familiarisation, you stand a chance.
Mohamed

Post by Mohamed »

greenvallley wrote:
Which schools are you trying for as the exams do vary in subjects and techniques?
QE boys
Has your dc had any practice of 11+ eg Bond books or are you just starting off?
Yes, he has been doing NFER/Bond papers for about one week and his score is average at the moment but lots of room to improve. My dc is good at English and Maths but not very good at timing...

Thank for you reply.

tense wrote:
Certainly not impossible nor too late if your DC is bright enough. I am a big fan of this forum but if I'd found it earlier than I did (which was about a month before my DD sat the tests) I would have freaked out at the amount of tutoring some children get & begged Herts CC to let me change my preferences!

If your DC is in top sets, had 3 level 5s in Year 5, & is willing to practice for some familiarisation, you stand a chance.
Thanks for your encouraging comment. Yes, this forum is certainly helpful, along with it's knowledgeable members. My dc is quite bright and says he will attempt the exams. I've also made it clear that it will be very challenging and his chances are very low but at least he'd have had the experience.
Chilled

Post by Chilled »

If you are only intending to try for QE Boys perhaps concentrate on VR and NVR with a little English and Maths and then work harder on these two subjects after the exam. I can't remember how long it is between taking the first exam and getting the result but I don't think it was that long. The second round of QE Boys is usually in January. If you are trying for other schools as well then you will need to check what format their exams take.
greenvallley

Post by greenvallley »

1st exam date 3 12 10; reserve date 10 12 10 (NVR and VR)
Results posted 17 12 10
Top 500 ranked boys from round 1 invited for:
2nd exam 10 1 11 (Maths and English)
Best to concentrate mainly on the NVR/VR and timing for now till the results for first round received.
Good luck
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

Hi Mohamed,

Given the slightly late start, I would start working on ALL four subjects, with more emphasis on VR/NVR.

Of course, once the first stage result is out we can completely focus on Eng+Maths.

However, don't leave Eng+Maths too late as your DS will need solid preparation right from now.

All the best.

- Yog
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now