River crossing problem

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tulip

River crossing problem

Post by Tulip »

Hi, please could anyone help me on this question.

Two soldiers needed to cross a river.Nearby two girls were rowing a small boat.
The soldiers asked the girls to help them to cross the river. The boat was so small that it could only carry one adult or two children.Explain how the two soldiers and two girls reached the other side of the river.This should go on a sequence pattern.
Please help!

Thank you
rosered100

Re: maths sequence

Post by rosered100 »

I think it would be that the girls rowed to the other side of the river & dropped off one girl & the other rowed back to the soldiers. Then one soldier would row over & the one girl on that side would row back. Then it repeats - both girls row over, drop one off , the other rows back, swaps with the second soldier who rows over. The girl on that side then rows back over to her friend.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I hate questions like that!

diagrams help or maybe using counters - different colour for soldiers and girls- and working it out -record steps as it will help when you go wrong!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Thank you very much rosered100 and yoyo123

rosered100, Its a brilliant answer :D Thanks for your help!
um

Re: River crossing problem

Post by um »

This really reminded me of last term when my car broke and I only had a 5 seater (and 5 children on the school run)... looking back at least working it all out legally gave the children some 11 plus practise :lol:
moved

Re: River crossing problem

Post by moved »

I love these problems - there is a lovely game with frogs and lily pads on mymaths. Or the marvellous Professor Layton on the DSi. I've ordered the next one already, but my children seem to think that I can wait until Christmas!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now