Broken screen on mobile phone.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
zorro

Broken screen on mobile phone.

Post by zorro »

Hi. Just wondered of any of you have any experience of having mobile with broken screen repaired. DS dropped it last week and although the phone still works it will need a new screen. I am taking it to the Apple store tomorrow but have no idea how much repair likely to cost. Have heard horror stories that it will be £140!! :twisted: Don't think I am willing to pay that, phone is still functional but don't know for how much longer.
Any advice gratefully received!
Milla

Re: Broken screen on mobile phone.

Post by Milla »

I was told £70 for a Samsung which cost ... £60. Bit the bullet and replaced it.
What about checking on your insurance? My son put his trousers in the washing machine. The only time he has ever done so. Sadly both his (new) and his brother's (new) phones were in the pocket. The insurance co told me that one (not huge) claim like that wouldn't affect my premiums much and the excess was £50 which was cheaper, when split between 2 phones than replacing them. Yes, mad, I know, should have just got really cheap ones but am horribly lured by happy shiny flashy and we're on contract. Oh well.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Do you mean contents insurance?
Unfortunately this is an iPhone so I think it will be extortionate. Would be willing to pay £70. Did you get it repaired by the network shop ( i.e. Vodafone)?
DS would not be seen dead with a 'really cheap one' :roll: :roll:
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

My suggestion would be no good then.... DS has a £10 pay as you go Nokia (no colour screen or camera) from Tesco, which came home today with a broken screen and I was annoyed about that but at least it's cheap to replace :lol:
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
ausvic

Post by ausvic »

Zorro check with your insurer. Before I bought my iphone I checked with my insurer (Tesco) and it didn't bring any higher excess, just included as a normal item. Worth a phone call. Also, did you buy it with a credit card, might be worth checking if you can claim off that insurance. I have claimed off credit card insurance in past for broken electrical item less than 12 months old.
ausvic

Post by ausvic »

for some reason it won't allow me to put c***** card!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Google replacing iPhone screen - it gives you video directions on how to do it and then you just buy the bits!

Edit to add: you've nowt to lose!
Milla

Post by Milla »

I bought a new one, Zorro, rather than waste money on the O2 shop repairing it - they did say that if I shopped around I could prob get it done for about £40 but we were wading too deep into Can't Be A**ed land by now so I fell back on insurance (having not claimed a thing in YEARS)
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I'm afraid iPhone screens are very expensive from the apple shop. There are a few stories of people crying in the apple store and them taking pity on them if the phone is still under warranty. You may be able to find an independent who can replace it for less. I have a friend who put a really robust screen guard over a badly cracked screen and it's still going strong more than a year later
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

ausvic wrote:for some reason it won't allow me to put c***** card!
Sorry ausvic - it's a banned word due to the volume of spam posts offering financial services.

I think it may date back to the era before we were "members only", and you have reminded me to check what our "banned words list" is with the programmer to prevent
unnecessary inconvenience for members.

S-A