John Humphries Programme

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pheasantchick

John Humphries Programme

Post by pheasantchick »

Did anyone watch this programme last night? The premise was that there is an education attainment gap betweeen the rich (ie. middle-class) and poor pupil population.

I was irritated during the first half of the programem when they reinforced stereotypes - ie. the rich was represented by Westminster college, and the poor by Stoke-on-Trent. I found myself thinking what is wrong with being middle class, working hard and having an interest in my child's education.

The second half of the programee did redress the balance and showed sucessful schools in more deprived areas. As both the junior and senior schools heads' said, good schools come from good leadership, teachers and discipline. Money and where you live wasn't an issue.

What surprised me was there was no mention of grammer schools, where, in theory at least ( :!: ), people of all backgrounds have the same chances of getting to a better education.
muffinmonster

Re: John Humphries Programme

Post by muffinmonster »

I watched this too. On reflection, I think looking at grammar schools might have muddied the waters, because the basic premise was that a decent education should be available for everyone - not just the rich, not just the bright and not just those with motivated and savvy parents.

I'm all for grammar schools and educational selection as an engine of social mobility, and personally I'm quite comfortable with being middle class, working hard and interested in my children's education. But I think that the educational system could do a lot more for those children whose parents are none of those things - and we saw this demonstrated in the inner-London schools.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

I missed this - please can someone tell me what channel it was on, it sounds interesting.

Thank you!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

BB2 last night at 9pm.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I forgot about this :evil:

However, it's on iPlayer, it's called Unequal Opportunites and here's a link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _Humphrys/
mad?

Post by mad? »

I thought it was interesting, despite John Humphries sometimes rather simplistic analysis. I'm not surpised they didn't look at grammar schools as the majority of the country does not have access to the grammar system. Interesting though that he mentioned that he, as a working class child, had had access to the grammar school system which he felt gave him an oportunity that was largely not available today. Interesting as well that the successful secondary schools 'looked' like grammar schools (discipine, high aspirations, strict uniform etc).
mad?
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

All of our local schools now have the strict and smart 'blazer' (in fact many of them look smarter than the GS boys!!!) uniform but it doesn't hide the results of some of them :?
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I was extremely irritated by the unquestioned premise that most of the problems of the education system stem from the middle classes refusing to send their children to substandard schools rather than from poor leadership and teaching, unnecessarily low expecations and low morale. Humphries seemed to accept that the best way to improve schools would be to prevent the middle classes making choices. Perhaps the second half came up with some more constructive ideas but I'd lost interest by that point and found something else to do.

Mike
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

What surprised me was there was no mention of grammer schools, where, in theory at least ( ), people of all backgrounds have the same chances of getting to a better education.
Just a thought, but how many parents who send their children to grammar are working class i wonder or lower middle-class even? Grammar schools in theory are meant to be for those children, but in reality arent' they mostly populated by middle and upper-middle class children (some of whom would have paid for schooling if it wasnt' for the credit crunch?) Or is that just the Southern grammar schools where I live?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

What is bugging me most about all these programs now is the stereotype on black people. Sure many live in inner city but there are many too even in those areas who have been succesful. Why cant they show these perhaps they could be role models rather than showing them in sink schools living in high rise estate all the time. These programs are more about reinforcing stereotypes and class. :evil:

I cant resist watching young borders tomorrow. :roll:

BTW - Whats the diff between working class and middle class? Is it based on income or manners and the lifestyle. Could one be a high earner like a Footballer and be still working class?
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now