School Textbooks For Year 7

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

WorriedRuby

School Textbooks For Year 7

Post by WorriedRuby »

Hi,

Sorry to start new topic, but could not find any info regarding this on the forum.

My DS has started Y7 ( 2 weeks) and so far has got only one textbook. School has told the children to use the school web site for other subjects.

Are there any other school encouraging children to use virtual learning environment?
tiredmum

Re: School Textbooks For Year 7

Post by tiredmum »

hi im not in your area but again my dd has just been given 1 textbook!
I have been very surprised by this. Its difficult for the children learning new languages with out a book to reference. She has been using the internet, i dont know if the school have advised this. One of her new friends has not managed to get much homework done as she does not have access to the internet! Bit of a worry really.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

My DSs have textbooks. I put limits on how much time they are allowed to use the comp so would not be happy in your situation.
WorriedRuby

Post by WorriedRuby »

I am unhappy and worried too, as what if something goes wrong with the computer/internet, how will DS do his homework? other option is to buy books only if I knew which books to buy!
Thirdtimer

Post by Thirdtimer »

Also a new year 7 and not one single text book here so far !
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

When i asked dd why she didnt have any text books for MFL's she said that it was because the older years had not returned them!
Milla

Post by Milla »

my son at Pate's seems to have a text book for just about everything (a revision guide for science seems slightly previous) apart from maths so far, and English where they have provided a guide of 30 or 40 pages.

My older son at Tommy's has text books for languages and maths but have never seen anything for geog, history, english or science. This possibly explains a lot!
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Ditto Milla's comments:
Pates Year 7 text books for German, French, Science, English (in class reader 'Holes' by Louis Sachar and study guide), History.

He has also had online Maths homework on an external site which can be accessed by the teacher and some Geography homwork printed off Plato (the VLE).

A good mix of the 'old' and 'new' I feel. Personally I like Elearning but then hubby is a nerdy PC type who has the house wired for wifi, ethernet and sound no doubt! (Cue Cliff Richard on roller skates with Sony Walkman trilling out "We're all going on a summer holiday...lalalalalalal")
Perplexed 2009

Post by Perplexed 2009 »

DD has spent some time looking for this, "VLE", no success! The teachers keep referring to it.

l've been waiting with bated breath for the Geog text-book to appear, if only to keep up. Perhaps we'll never get one?

VLE???
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

VLE-virtual learning environment

DS has always had loads of textbooks.In year 9 he has books for Maths,Science,French,German,Geography,Science revision guides,the languages ones are really good for revision too.

GM