Weald of Kent Grammar School - what score needs to be?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anowicka

Weald of Kent Grammar School - what score needs to be?

Post by anowicka »

We live about 0.5 mile from the school . Could someone advise if to get a place in the school would be ok just to pass the Kent exam or children need to achieve certain number of points?

Thank you in advance
A
mystery

Re: Weald of Kent Grammar School - what score needs to be?

Post by mystery »

It's just a pass for Weald of Kent, and you live so close I guess you are guaranteed a place if your child's result shows up as a pass and you put Weald first on your form!
anowicka

Post by anowicka »

That's a great news. Thank you for the reply.
omg

Post by omg »

Would not necessarily need to put WOK first to be allocated this school, but if it's your first choice clearly this is the way to go... :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes that's right, even if you put it bottom of the CAF, it does not affect your chances of getting it, unless of course you are offered something higher up your CAF. So if you really really want it, put it first. And if you don't, put it in the correct pecking order on your form.
anowicka

Post by anowicka »

Thank you for this.

I think I will put TOGS as a first choice and then Weald . No sure if we get score above 400 points which I think is necessary to get a place in TOGS (even if we live very close – 0.5 mile)? Weald will be second one so I am happy it’s enough just to pass :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

You will know your child's 11+ score before you fill in the CAF. The school should give it to you if you request it in addition to the information on whether they have passed or not. Not all schools give the score straightaway, so if your school is one of these, prime them beforehand so that you do not end up with a delay.

The cut-off for TOGS is high - it varies each year. See old threads on here for previous year's cut-offs, or ask the school. The fact that you live 0.5 miles from the school makes no difference. The cut-off quoted is for 1 March. Girls do get in with lower scores from the waiting list and via appeals.

There is one major point to bear in mind here - see the threads re. admission polices at TOGS, Judd, Skinners. They may be forced to change their policy for admission from September 2011 onwards. This could mean that you get in because you live close to TOGS rather than because of a high score.

Good luck.
anowicka

Post by anowicka »

Thanks Mystery for all the information. That would be great if we could get in TOGS because of close living :)
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

anowicka wrote:That would be great if we could get in TOGS because of close living :)
Yes I agree.. None of this commuting for hours on end, not being part of the local community, or being able to participate in after school clubs eh mystery :wink:
omg

Post by omg »

This does sound idyllic - whay school is meant to be all about...