Marling Open Day -- What did people think?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cheltgirl

Marling Open Day -- What did people think?

Post by cheltgirl »

Went to Marling last week.
The engineering-based curriculum is very good.
But the site is a bit of a hotch potch. Mix of great new build and tatty old buildings.

The Head's talk a model of brevity. But, and a very big but, how could a head teacher have a power point presentation including two grammatical howlers? If the head is prepared to stand in front of parents with two slides which misuse it's it doesn't inspire confidence in the slightest.

Writing it's when it should be its is basic stuff...not what you would expect from a leading grammar.
My daughter in year 9 would have spotted such a howler.

Having said that there are clearly good things going on there.

But just cannot get those howlers out of my mind. Attention to detail should permeate from the head downwards.
Alice in Underland

Re: Marling Open Day -- What did people think?

Post by Alice in Underland »

I went on Friday morning without DS and they were very disorgainised. Went again on Monday with DS and it was much better structured. Very impressed with the whole set up, pupils and staff. Headmaster went on for too long and everyone was fidgeting. But that's what most headmasters do isn't it !!!! ???

We live locally so Marling is the obvious choice, despite the tatty old buildings.
Adds character !
Thirdtimer

Post by Thirdtimer »

Please don't let the site and buildings put you off Marling (you should have seen it before the new block was built!).
Glad you found Monday evening useful - it seemed quite quiet as I presume most people went during the day on Friday.
gloucsdad

Post by gloucsdad »

I seemed quiet to my OH

uncertainty with change of Head?

I think that it could be just what the bright but not exceptional boy needs.

Pretty sporty (but not as much as STR).

Boys don't need the same facilities - as a muddy field and draughty room are charachter buulding (!) and do not tell you if a school is good.