Why do Admissions ask for this information?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Denise

Why do Admissions ask for this information?

Post by Denise »

We are possibly moving to Essex, and Redbridge in particular. I was looking into GS school admissions there (what a nightmare - 850+ applicants for 120 places at Ilford County!) when I came across a very strange statement in the secondary admissions brochure:
If you are also - or only - considering private or independent schooling for your child please inform us of the school(s) you are applying for on your CAF, this would not affect your application in any way but would help the Admissions team during the allocation process.
Does anyone know why they ask for this information or what they do with it?

I've read a lot of admissions information, with this being our second possible house move in a couple of years, but I've never seen anything like this before.
muffinmonster

Re: Why do Admissions ask for this information?

Post by muffinmonster »

I noticed this too and thought it was curious. I can't see how it could possibly help the admissions team to know whether you've applied for an independent. It might give them some feel for the percentage of people likely to turn down their state school offers, but it couldn't make any difference to the offers.

I seem to remember being asked the same question when I applied for my DD three years ago, and I decided it was none of their business. I think I'll do the same this time round.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now