Selective Schools only on CAF form

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Josa

Selective Schools only on CAF form

Post by Josa »

Hi guys
Has anyone ever taken a risk and not put a non selective school on their CAF form? Was it a risk worth taking or not? I know there are no guarantees with dcs passing exams and each year differs but surely for those that did you must have had more than a bit of confidence in your dcs to have done so.
We are in a position where our only option is to put selective schools on the CAF form as the closest non selective school to us is definitely a no go and given that we are only allowed 3 preferences in Herts :evil: , we need to utilise these, leaving no place for a non selective school.

It will be nice to hear your experiences / thoughts.

Cheers
Josa
matthews

Re: Selective Schools only on CAF form

Post by matthews »

hi Josa, we were in exactly the same situation as you last year. We did not put down our local non selective school because.
a) we would of been given it anyway if we had not got one of our 3 choices (always spaces) and
b) we were not prepared to send Dc to that school anyway and would of moved if that situation had arisen.

We therefore put down 3 selective schools. Two were from the herts consortium and the 3rd was not. We made sure that out of the 2 watford consortium schools were of different levels of entry, so that if DC missed out on points for our 1st choice, that DC would then score highly enough to get into our other choice. That is exactly what happened on allocation day. We were given our 3rd choice (selective) and then was on the waiting list for our 1st choice school, which we were offered a place a few weeks later. But to be honest if we had a good local school, our choices would probably been different. But for us there was no choice. Good luck to you. you will find lots of great info on this forum. Helped me so much this time last year. X
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

I agree with Matthews. It is a risk putting all selectives and your own circumstances will determine whether you feel it is a risk worth taking.

It was 2 years ago that we applied for schools and we didn't have an option to move out of the area or go private so it was important for us to feel as though we were in control of which school we were allocated. We did have a strong preference out of the 3 "local" non-selectives so we felt we had to put that down as 3rd choice as otherwise it would be pot luck as to which of the 3 Watford/Bushey non-selectives we got as we live almost in the middle of them all.

Alison
workhard

Post by workhard »

Hi Josa! I really empathasie with you.

For our DD, we put a Comp after 2 selectives, knowing we would NOT be offered a place at that Comp (in Borough of Barnet). This was our first formal step in anticipation of a possible future appeal if selection did not work for us. We also put some spiel on the form in the appropriate 'reasons' section to expand on at any appeal.

Choices 4, 5 and 6 were similarly Comps we had no hope of being offered, in case Choice 3 did not work out.(Where we live, we do not qualify for any local school: we are not Jewish, Anglican or Catholic, we are too far from any local girls' or co-ed school by distance and the local comp down the road is for boys only!)

Good luck!

WH
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

Yes I chose three selective schools. I also knew if my DD didn’t get any of the three she would go to our local comp. Even though I didn’t in my heart feel that this was the right choice for her, I took a positive spin on it. I took her round to see it and told her that this was my 4th choice. :lol:
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

I only put selective schools on our CAF and it could have easily gone very wrong as you can not predict what will happen within a year. I know of many people who were allocated Bushey Acadamey as they had not put a non selective down and the continued interest list moved very very slowly so be aware it is a risk.
Would I do the same again. NO
tense

Post by tense »

As others have said it will depend on your personal circumstances & it's a risk. You may be able to list 3 selectives depending on exactly where you live & doing your research carefully (ie, reading WP's sticky :D ). For the latest intake, my address would have got you in to both Queens' & Watford Girls' on distance. This won't happen every year. But the closer you are to a selective school should benefit you if there is a tie-break on the academic list, as the closer child will take priority.

Those of you familiar with this neck of the woods will realise I also live near Bushey Academy! Three years ago, when we were applying for schools for the first time, I belonged to the "over my dead body" camp. But I honestly believe this is a school which will change dramatically within the next two years - just as Westfield has done.
hopeful5

Post by hopeful5 »

It really depends on your options.
We applied two years ago.
What I learned is you need to have a back up if plan a is not successful. What you consider to be the local failing school will still be better than the definitely failing school you get allocated if your child doesnt get in to the selective state schools.
If you can afford to go private then you need a range of solutions there as just because you are paying, it is not at all easy to get into the top private schools in the country.

So for example on form you could put
1. hbs
2 latymer
3 dao
4.x
5. y ( nearby school you will definely get an offer from)

For private you could apply to
CLSG
HABS
PALMERS GREEN HIGH SCHOOL
ST EDMUNDS

Good luck. Even after allocation day you can still get a place at a private school but it is alot more stressful and I for one would have found it a very difficult process and would rather have it sorted out in advance.
nia1999

Post by nia1999 »

Matthews

Can you clarify the point you raised ? Ie Different schools in Herts consortium have different entry marks ? Our choices are WGGS,Parmiters,Ricky & Clement Danes ie SW Herts consortium ...Are you saying that a poass mark would get you into one and not necessarily the other ?

Thanks
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

I wonder if Matthews was referring to the information contained on the sticky topic "SW Herts consortium schools: admission statistics" at the top of the Herts forum.

This contains lots of helpful information including
details of how far the distance places went out to over recent years.
details of standardised marks required for academic places at the various school over recent years.

Remember however that past requirements don't necessarily reflect what happens this, or future, years.
One important thing is that the distance measurement has changed this year to straight line measurements and the maximum distances for entrance in previous years show distance based on the route (walking, driving) to the school.

Also, there is no "magical" pass mark as the standardised scores compare the actual test scores of those sitting the test that particular year.

Alison
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now