Slough consortium equal preference question.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stressedparent

Slough consortium equal preference question.

Post by stressedparent »

Answers to these scenarios appreciated

Scenario 1
Langley cut-off 119
Herschel top 80 cut-off 117
St Bernard cut-off 111
DD sits the test in Langley, as it is the preferred school on the consortium registration form

Preference on the CAF Langley, Herschel, and St Bernard

Daughter scores 118 will she be automatically offered Herschel or St Bernard even though she sat the test in Langley.

Scenario 2
Langley cut-off 118
Herschel top 80 cut-off 117
St Bernard cut-off 111
DD sits the test in St Bernard, as it is the preferred school to sit the test but not the preferred school on the CAF
Preference on the CAF Langley, Herschel, and St Bernard.
Daughter scores 121. Would she automatically be offered Langley ahead of St Bernard even though she sat the test in St Bernard?
stressedparent
hermanmunster

Re: Slough consortium equal preference question.

Post by hermanmunster »

My understanding is that the score and the order on the CAF is what counts - not the location of the test.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Yes, that is correct.
After scores determine a schools pass mark, The order on the CAF then comes into play.

It doesn't matter which school the test is sat in as the schools are all part of a consotium and therefore all sit the same test and the results are sent to the LEA who then allocate according to the above two criteria.
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

Bewildered wrote:Yes, that is correct.
After scores determine a schools pass mark, The order on the CAF then comes into play.

It doesn't matter which school the test is sat in as the schools are all part of a consotium and therefore all sit the same test and the results are sent to the LEA who then allocate according to the above two criteria.
Hi bwildered,
Thanks for the advice, what was concerning me is the statement written on the registraion details. It is written as follows,
"please tick next to the consortium grammar school that you put highest on your CAF." In my case I have not decided on the order of CAF preferences yet but have decided to take the test in St Bernard.
stressedparent
stressedparent
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Has the admissions criteria changed then? Two years ago, if you had put more than one consortium school down, you were told you would not be offered a place to any but your highest preference school.

Is it true that this year we can put down Langley AND Herschel, and if we sit the test in Langley and don't get in, then there is hope for Herschel?
chad

Post by chad »

The schools have to give equal preference to all schools listed on the CAF.

It is my understanding that the consortium request that you sit the exam at your highest placed school on the consortium registration form. (This may have changed since 2005/6 and if so can anyone confirm it?)

Therefore if you have Langley as your highest pref school followed by Herschel, you will sit the exam there and if you reach the cut off score then a place will be offered.
If, say, Langley cut off for March 1st allocations is 119 and Herschel is 117.... you score 118:- you will be offered Herschel but stay on the waiting list for Langley.

If in the second round of allocations Langley offer down to 117 then you will be offered a place and can turn down Herschel.

Please remember that there is now a distance criteria for Herschel once the first 70 places are filled by highest score first.
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

Hi Chad,
The statement is written on this year’s registration form for the Slough consortium schools. I have emailed the admission department in Slough council today. I will update the post when I get a reply.

stressedparent
stressedparent
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now