Re-marking Papers

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bo Peep

Re-marking Papers

Post by Bo Peep »

Just wanted to ask if there is actually any point in asking to have papers re-marked? I mean, has anyone ever experienced getting different scores by having them re-marked?

I noticed 'Tired Mum' had her child's papers review and she added 'no change to scores.' I just wondered if anyone on this forum has actually had a positive experience of having papers re-marked.

It's that horrible HB pencil thing coming back to haunt me!
cindy

Post by cindy »

could you please tell me anything you know about marking it again,
i didnt know this was possible..

thank you
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Cindy

In a nutshell, the VR and NVR papers are marked electronically, and the reference to the HB pencil is that the "marks" that the children make on the answer paper may not necessarily be picked up by the equipment if the wrong type of pencil was used. Hence the fact that some people ask for a re-mark.

There is also the possibility that a child marked the paper slightly outside of the allocated space, and thus the euqipment missed an accurate mark.

I wouldn't pin your hopes in it, as it is very unusual for there to be a discrepancy. I am afraid I don't know the system where you are, so you would need to speak to Admissions to ask for more information.

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

I was thinking the same thing.My child's VR results were pretty low conpared to her NVR.My first thought was,did they mark it right.Reading Bo Peep's message,as made me think to call the LEA tomorrow and see what can be done to re -check the paper.
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

Dear Guest - would you be kind enough to tell us what you learned from the LEA.

Thanks

Post by Guest »

Bo Peep wrote:Dear Guest - would you be kind enough to tell us what you learned from the LEA.

Thanks

I have to write to them.So this morning I sent them a letter asking if they could send me a copy of her VR test paper to double check.
I will let you know asap what they have said.

Post by Guest »

I spoke with my LEA (Wirral) this morning and was informed they wouldn't let me see my daughter's paper but if I wrote to them with my daughter's name, DOB and school they would do a re marking by hand and write to us with the results.

Hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

I phoned Kent CC about the HB pencil thing before the papers were marked. Don't know if that's your county but I'm guessing it's similar elsewhere.

They were very helpful and informed me that the scanner software they use is pretty sophisticated and should spot potential problems at the time of marking. The scanner then beeps to alert a human supervisor who then checks the paper themselves. With softer (ie darker) pencils apparently the most likely problem is not that marks won't be read but that erased marks might still show up; this is one of the things the software is programmed to detect.

I was told that if the marks were not as expected our headteacher could also request a manual remark to be absolutely certain.
cindy

cindy

Post by cindy »

have applied by e mail to kkc yesterday for a manual re mark.
today had a reply saying they would do it if I just supplied details
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

Thank you Guest and Cindy for the helpful feedback. I think we will request this also. I'll also feedback when I hear.

Just found out that there have been only two successful appeals heard for the school we are appealing to - two successes in the last 16 years. :shock: