practice tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum of five

practice tests

Post by mum of five »

hi just wanted some info about my son taking test this year, he had his mock exams recently and he scored 68 ,67 ,and 65 on them pls can someone give me some info if that score was enough for a pass . he is a december child ,does that meen he will be less advantaged..........what kind of papers can he use at home to practice ther are so many out there dnt know which ones to buy pls help.
Tree

Re: practice tests

Post by Tree »

Hi mum of five

The pass mark for dec born will be probably around 68-70 (although not an exact science) if by mock exams you mean the familiarisation papers then the last 2 papers are closest in difficulty to the exam and so with 67 and 65 he is v close it's pobably quite late now to do a lot of preparation with papers i would just get a few probably the ips ones (see stickies top of this section for details) and work on technique timing and confidence look at the diy tutoring sticky for ideas and fingers crossed he will get a few extra marks

all the best
monsoon

Post by monsoon »

Hi,

If it is related to specific type, then you could give 5/6 questions on those type. You could get them from various test papers.

Good luck
Monsoon
mum of five

Post by mum of five »

thanku for your replies, sorry i have one more question what is standardising... and how will it affect my son if he has very bright children in his class , born same month as him does that mean he will have points taken off? REALLY CONFUSED WITH ALL THE RUMOURS .have 3 children in his class who scored 80 out of 80 in the practice tests and all are born in december ....pls explain thanku so much in advance.
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

I would think that children who score 80 out of 80 in all the practice test might have done the paper at least once before.... Remember it is the same papers that are used every year for the practice tests.
The parents are not going to admit to that though! It is likely that you will need to get 68/69 out of 80 in one of the papers to achieve 121. It does not matter how clever the December children are in your child's class as the results are compared to all the cohort taking the test.
Last edited by bucks mum1 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi mumoffive
mum of five wrote:what is standardising... and how will it affect my son if he has very bright children in his class
The adjustment of scores for age is a very complex process that you will probably not be any the wiser for knowing about in detail. (I certainly am not, and I've been here longer than most people!) You can read more about the "standardisation process" here, but it may not be particularly enlightening! http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/standa ... scores.php

As Bucks Mum1 says, the important point is that the adjustment for age is made across all the thousands of children who take the Bucks test. It is not a comparison among children in the same class.
mum of five

Post by mum of five »

bucks mum1 wrote:I would think that children who score 80 out of 80 in all the practice test might have done the paper at least once before.... Remember it is the same papers that are used every year for the practice tests.
The parents are not going to admit to that though! It is likely that you will need to get 68/69 out of 70 in one of the papers to achieve 121. It does not matter how clever the December children are in your child's class as the results are compared to all the cohort taking the test.
i thought it was out of 80 no t 70?
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

Sorry it is out of 80. A typo, I have now corrected. Just as well I am not sitting the test on Thursday!