Haydn Richards English Books

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
11+ novice

Haydn Richards English Books

Post by 11+ novice »

Has anyone used these books! I had someone mention about these books some days ago, tried to have a look thru the forums to see any post but could not find any about these books. Any opinions anyone? Is it worth getting one and just going thru with DS!
LarryB

Re: Haydn Richards English Books

Post by LarryB »

Hi,
Like you I'm new to 11+ and learning a lot as I go along & this forum has been an invaluable source of info. I'm using the Haydn Richards series as this was recommended by a friend as my DS who's in Yr5 was struggling with longer Bond passages. Haydn Richards comprise short comprehension passages & grammar exercises. The idea is getting him used to these & gradually introduce the longer passages as he builds confidence. I would recommend it as I've found it to be good for my DS.
11+ novice

Post by 11+ novice »

Thanks LarryB for the reply, I know my son struggles with comprehension as well,I am using Schofield comprehension books which are easier then Bond to give him the confidence and then work upwards.

So u are working thru the of Haydn's books, i was thinking of getting only book 2 or/and may be book 4, as they are not cheap! can u please give me some advise.

Thanks
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I kept a copy of each one when they were thrown out at school. very old fashioned, but sometimes just the thing for a quick bit of revision.
moved

Post by moved »

I like them for touching up bits of English grammar. Nothing wrong with old fashioned. Marvellous for commas, cannot remember which book has the great comma exercise as I typed it out.
LarryB

Post by LarryB »

We started with book 2 also final got hold of New First Aid in Eng which is another highly recommended book.
11+ novice

Post by 11+ novice »

Thanks everyone for thr response. I have the new first aid in english but hardly use it!DS gets bored after a couple of pages. I wish i could have a look at the Haydn Richards books to see how suitable they are for me, does anyone know where they will be available as i checked at waterstones and WH smith, they both do not have/keep them in the store.
I need something for puntuation and grammer maybe these books are what i need!

'moved' if you remember the book about comma excercises, can you please do let me know!

Thanks once again for the response!
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Book 4 has a couple of good exercises on the use of commas. I didn't use the book a great deal with my DS due to time constraints. I'll be using it a lot more with my DD. My copy was given to me by a friend whose son had gone through the 11 plus a few years previously but I'm sure I've seen it on the shelves at Waterstones.
North London

Post by North London »

Hello

the Haydn Richards books are available at Waterstone's on Gower Street, W1, nearest tube Euston Square or Warren Street. This branch also has widest selection of 11+ material of any bookshop I've come across in London, and I've been on the hunt for 15 years or so now for material.

They are excellent for grammar and punctuation and they also contain comprehension activities. They don't deal with writing, though.

I'd also recommend the Galore Park 'So You Really Want To Learn' books, for English, but also Maths, Science....for the 11+ exams. Also available in the same shop, or from their website.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

I have all 4 Hadyn Richards Books, and yes they are good but too detailed and I do not think the vocab element is strong enough.

I have managed to purchase 100 Exercises in English Usage (Books 1 to 4) by the authors of First Aid in English. They are very useful, and work well with the First Aid in English, and I can't recommend them highly enough. The down-side; no answers, though!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now