Altrincham Grammar School for Girsl

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Altrincham Grammar School for Girsl

Post by Guest »

Hi, has anyone got their daughter in Alt G from out of area? May be looking at this for our dd next year, we are only just outside but wondered what sort of marks would be needed?

Thanks in advance for any info.
AGSG

Post by AGSG »

Hi

We are out of area and have applied for our daughter at Alt Grammar for Girls.

We should get letter tomorrow (if post on time). Will let you know how we get on.
DaveEHulme

Alty Girls

Post by DaveEHulme »

We have applied from out of the area, but selection is almost identical to the 11plus with a bit of creative writing added on.
We live in Band C from the schools point of view but were advised that we would stand a reasonable chance.
Roll on tomorrow!
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

All of you waiting for allocations in Trafford check your emails if you applied online. We got an email from Trafford at 5.15pm today confirming our daughter's place at Alty Girls. The email confirmed letters were posted first class today.

Good luck to you all.
DaveEHulme

Alty Girls waiting list

Post by DaveEHulme »

Does anybody know what the chances are of getting a place at Alty Girls from the waiting list?
It says in the admission policy that they use a combination of the score and the distance but what does that mean? Do they go down the scores first and then make offers in order of closeness?
Or is there some other strange combination of the two?

Just when I thought my confusion was over!
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Dave, my reading of the policy is that they would take all girls who passed in Band A and allocate on the basis of score. Then they go to Band B and do the same and so on to Band C.

Say you had Band A: Kate 383, Louise 363, Maria 340
Band B: Naomi 401, Olivia 390, Phoebe 387

If you had only 4 places left then Kate, Louise, Maria and Naomi get them even though Olivia and Phoebe scored more highly then all band A girls and even if Olivia and Phoebe live closer as the crow flies to AGGS than Naomi, since technically, O, P and N are in the same mile wide band.

Do you know how far down the waiting list you are? I know of at least 3 girls in catchment who are turning down offers at AGGS for Loreto or independents so I am sure places will be offered over the next few weeks.
DaveEHulme

Alty Girls

Post by DaveEHulme »

Thanks TM, that explains everything.
When I spoke to the school yesterday they reckoned that it wasn't possible to say where we would be on the list, because it was the first day and they didn't know how many would put their names down. Even then it's not about how many, but which ones!
I think we'll put her name on and see how it goes, I've also heard of 2 that are going to accept an offer from Loretto.
My maths (not strong) says that 700+ (say 750) took the exam and I understand that approx 1/3 get through so with 174 places there will be 76 max on the waiting list. So, as a worst case, we're already up to 71st without even trying!
In the meantime we'll accept the offer from Trafford, which isn't a problem for us anyway.
Cheers, Dave E

Post by Guest »

I also know of at least three who have offers but are going independant.
GuestA

Post by GuestA »

Hi DaveE,

Hope you don't mind my asking, but is your daughter on the waiting list due to the fact that you are out of area even though your daughter gained a qualifying mark in the eaxm ?
DaveEHulme

Altrincham Girls

Post by DaveEHulme »

Guest A, don't mind at all.
Yes we are out of the area, probably band C. We are comforted by the fact that last year they were apparently able to offer everybody that passed a place. I suppose there is a lot of swapping around going on at the moment which might generate some places.
However, I don't know if they over allocate to start off with, knowing that some will be turned down.
Are you in a similar position?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now