Challoners

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nia1999

Challoners

Post by nia1999 »

Can anyoclear this up please ?

To my knowledge to gain access to Challloners girls/boys school your child has to take and pass the exam and you have to be a resident of the area ?
Some people I know are getting their children to sit the exam in the hope they pass and then they intend to move into the area !I have told them that Bucks CC do not allow this but they seem to think I,m talking rubbish despite what Bucks CC say on their website.

Can a moderator please settle this ?

Thanks
Sally-Anne

Re: Challoners

Post by Sally-Anne »

Can a moderator please settle this ?
Willingly. :D In a nutshell, you are right and they are wrong.

For Challoners Girls they need to submit proof of their address on 12th November 2010, ahead of the test results on 26th November. So, wherever they are currently living is the address on which the school allocation will be based. DCHS is usually only able to offer place to girls in catchment.

For the boys school they introduced these rules this year to prevent address fraud (Rule 2 is distance from the school):
a) In order to qualify for admission under Rule 2, the applicant must have been resident within the catchment area continuously since April 1st of the year preceding proposed admission.

b) If a family still owns a property within 20 miles of the school, a leased property closer to the school will not be accepted as the basis for a legitimate residence qualification even if the former property is leased to a third party.
The full admissions policy can be viewed here, but apart from the above rules, it is the same as for all Bucks Grammars for Year 7 admissions: http://www.challoners.com/index.aspx?se ... ons-policy Anyone applying for admission in September 2011 needed to be living in catchment and within the usual allocation distance of around 6 miles by April 1st 2010.

I am afraid the people you have been talking to are living in cloud cuckoo land.
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

Those people are right!

You don't have to be within Bucks to "gain access to Challloners girls/boys school".

Why do I think so?

#1. Look at the admission policy Rule #5
Once the rules have been applied, then any further places will be offered in distance order using the
methodology set out in the County Scheme

#2. I live in Herts and just logged in to check on my Councils online CAF system to see whether I can apply for
Dr Challoners. Yes I can!

So... not sure where people got the idea from that you HAVE to be in Bucks to apply.
nia1999

Post by nia1999 »

Yogkruti

I take your point but even given what you highlight I find it hard to believe that Challoners will have any places left at the end of allocation ? Also maybe you in Herts have an outside chance in terms of distance but I cant see these people in Harrow being given the same benefit ?

What do you think ?
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

If the question is if they can apply - answer is yes.

As to whether they would get a place is an altogether different matter, as you can imagine.

Personally, I'm not interested in any Bucks school as there are lots of excellent ones in Herts, enough to fill the generous number (3) of choices on the CAF :D
nia1999

Post by nia1999 »

Well said ! Generous ....3 I think is restrictive though I guess Challoners ,Clement Danes ,Parmiters are great schools

Best of luck !
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

yogkruti wrote:Those people are right!
yogkruti, of course you can apply to any school anywhere in the country regardless of where you live - that right was enshrined in the Greenwich judgement of 1989. Whether you then "gain access" to it is a whole other matter and depends on the school's admission policy and how over-subscribed the school is.

The question being asked was not whether the children could apply to these schools but whether, if they take the test and qualify, and then move into catchment, they would gain a place. The answer is simply "no", for the reasons I gave above.

The parents are wrong, and writing about the theory of how the system works is not helpful to people reading this Forum.
nia1999

Post by nia1999 »

Sally Anne

THats the crux of my question .I have tried explaining to these people that they are wasting their time but they seem to want to run with this idea that the school will let you move into the area afterwards
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

nia1999 wrote:I have tried explaining to these people that they are wasting their time but they seem to want to run with this idea that the school will let you move into the area afterwards
One for the "Myths and Legends" sticky? :wink:
Marylou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Marylou wrote:One for the "Myths and Legends" sticky? :wink:
Probably not on this occasion, Marylou, because the situation does vary from school to school, and can change from year to year. (Albeit, in the case of the two Challoners schools it never does.)

As you know, there are other slightly less over-subscribed grammar schools in Bucks where you could move in to the area after qualification and potentially gain a place, albeit the application would not be included in the first round of allocations on March 1st and it would depend on movement on the waiting list. I am thinking in particular of the girls' and boys' grammars in Aylesbury, where the distances are quite considerable and there tends to be a bit more movement on the waiting list after the first round as parents opt to go private despite the child qualifying.

Nia, I assume that you know that historically quite a number of pupils from Harrow have gained places at Chesham Grammar School?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now