OMG

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

muminTewkes

OMG

Post by muminTewkes »

I'm sat here as ds is looking around STRS with the husband and its dawning on me that this is IT.
The culmination of the past few mths of thinking and planning for the 11+ and its almost upon us and almost over....thank god.
I do think Ill have a bit of a slump after Oct 9th though,just because its been so much a part of life since April/May time for us.
I am so proud already of ds and his determination and desire to succeed and hats off to him,he's trying for something that Im sure I could never achieve(hey,Im better but I struggle with these pesky VR papers and certainly couldnt do them like he does! :lol: )
Im also a bit :shock: well actually a lot :shock: by some of the stories re how much prep/how hard parents are pushing their dc's...cricky,its important but these are 10 yr old kids fgs!...or maybe Im :| as ive realised this past mth Ive eased off totally..eek!he just does an hr on a Sat and an hr on a Sun and I thought I was being harsh!
Anyway guys the dreaded date is looming and I hope we all have good news to come...
Hows everyone else holding up?what timetable are you all sticking to or are you all as :? :shock: as me!? :D
pixiequeen

Re: OMG

Post by pixiequeen »

muminTewkes, you don't need to be :shock: or :| about how much work you have done with your DC - judging by your previous posts he has well and truly 'got it' so no further work really necessary.

I admit we have probably done more than I had planned in the last couple of weeks as DD has seemed so close to hitting high scores but never quite getting there. Think we are nearly done now though.
what timetable are you all sticking to?
Would like to stop now, really. Have planned two papers back to back for the weekend so think we will do those. Not sure about next week though. Don't know whether to do absolutely nothing (terrified she'll forget it all or speed will drop to snail pace) or do some bits of maths/vocab (not too diff. to what we usually do on a non VR day) or whether it's worth running through techniques for each question type again very briefly. Def. nothing Friday night.

Think panic is setting in .... had horrified text from friend because their letter from SHS with the instructions for the day had arrived. (Haven't had ours yet. Hope postman isn't going to be late with our results too :evil: )

Can't wait for it to be over. DD wants to watch Merlin and have fish and chips afterwards.
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Hi all,

I am also on the slow down. I plan no more papers, just in case he has a bad one the weekend before the big day! :shock:
Just running through the types, all the tricks he has picked up en route etc. Bit of vocab and making sure he knows times tables etc.

Last week planning on exam technique revision. Practicing his 'game face' 8) :twisted: (it's a combo of these two!) Just reassuring and advising he is well on course etc etc.

Inwardly panicking madly and running through the 'what if's' but trying to hide this mania from DS. Wish it was over and then perhaps life will become normal once more, whatever normal is! :D
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Not sure when your test is but I can sympathise/empathise with you. Here in Kent, we did our test (our at least our DS/DDs did!) a couple of weeks ago. There was a similar thread in the Kent forum leading up to the test expressing exactly the fears and concerns that you have. The sense of relief and freedom when its over is amazing. Hang on in there, not long to go now!
Milla

Post by Milla »

muminTewkes wrote:he just does an hr on a Sat and an hr on a Sun and I thought I was being harsh!
this sounds at least twice as much as we did at this stage, honest. Anything more is parental panic. I think you're relatively "lucky" having it early to spare you the autumn half term, so take comfort that it's all over soon for this last drag into term is the worst bit. In the early days you're blithely unaware and then you build into a panic as the weeks stretch on. Try To Be Calm!!! There's nothing you can do. Trust them! and Good Luck. Sooner them than mine :wink: :? :!: :D
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I had loads of stuff planned for the last few weeks, but we were all very shocked and saddened when my father in law passed away unexpectedly last week and have done nothing until I got ds1 to do a test this weekend. I thought he did incredibly well to concentrate given that he has been distraught at times(understandably). His marks dropped to 90% as he made a number of silly mistakes however the fact that he still wants to try I think is amazing.
We can only support him and see how the whole thing goes. I am proud of him for not giving up regardless of the outcome. The whole school thing has taken a bit of a back seat for now and I think we have a new perspective, we will just have to wait and see what the outcome is.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

turtleglos,Im so very sorry to hear that...what an awful time for you all.
Puts a lot into perspective I think :(
In the big scheme of things,IMO at this point they either have it or they dont so I think just trusting them is a good option.
I hope everyone gets through these next few days holding on to the remaining shreds of sanity!!!
DS seems totally non plussed...hmm,i am perfecting the calm,quietly confident,it honestly doesnt matter look he has mastered!
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

Son and I are bored with practice papers.
He is now beginning to doubt his abilities and I am having to maintain a very positive attitude and stay patient.

We will spend the rest of the week pulling out those types of questions he is still not confident about and working on them. Will do two papers back to back this weekend and that will be the last time we run through a full paper.

Noticably my son does not have the same grasp of vocabulary his sister had this time last year, but when it comes to codes, sequences and numerical problems is way ahead of her.
chatternatter

Post by chatternatter »

Last minute wobbles have set in, my daughter sat a practice test on sunday and although she scored well 87%, she was very dissapointed haveing scored high in the nineties previously, she had a few days of stressing and i am being ultra cool, have been determined not to stress to close to the test, so i have just reassured her what will be will be and keep my stress to my self.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

DD and I both have stinking colds so have done no VR at all this week. Have also seen around fab. out of catchment comp. which we have very good chance of getting a place at so feeling 8) at the moment. Think we will revise our original plans and do no more papers now. Might go through one section of each question type next week but if there is any sign of it stressing DD out I think we'll stop.

In a way I'm glad I feel so ill as would have been tempted by last minute cramming otherwise.

What will be, will be, :) DD's scores have never varied vary much, right from the beginning. Her timing has improved but I'm becoming more convinced that kids can either do VR and do it fast enough, or they can't, no matter how many practice papers you give them.

Good Luck Everyone. Stay 8)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now