Post by jr1 »

hey guys guess what
my dd passed urmston
im so proud off her :D :lol:
TIDDLYMUM

Re: urmston

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

fabulous news JR!!!

I just posted that my friends son passed. Are you in area? and is that you done now, no more exams??

It a great feeling, so enjoy!!!!!!
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Congratulations! :D
Dougal

Post by Dougal »

Congratulations to those who passed Urmston. My dd missed out by 13 marks. :( She got 106 in the english, 115 in the maths and 121 in the non verbal. Not sure now whether to appeal as we live in WA14 and so are way out of the catchment area. It is so hard as there are only 7 days to get your appeal together and send it in.
Do many people get into Urmston from the WA14 area does anyone know?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Dougal

So sorry to hear your daughter missed the mark. It is really difficult getting these results at the weekend and deciding what to do. If you appeal you will need evidence of why she didn't do so well on the day and and also evidence of her real academic ability. Sounds like with the distance that you need to have a chat with the LEA about the pros / cons / chances etc.

best wishes
Herman
Dougal

Post by Dougal »

Thanks Herman,
unfortunately I'm not too sure why she didn't perform on the day. She was wearing glasses that were giving her headaches as we couldn't get the new ones in time for the exam ( her eye had altered by a whole dioptre, which is apparently a lot :) ) Her CAT scores were high and she is in the challenge group for Maths at school. Not sure who to speak to at the LEA either. All of this is made more difficult as both her elder sisters are at the Grammar
Dougal
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi Dougal

sorry to hear about your daughter. We went through an appeal at Urmston last year, not successful though we won on non qual. I will pm you tomorrow to see if I can tell you anything that helps. The quick turnaround appeal is the HT appeal which I don't think they had then or if they did we didn't know about it.
stret123

Post by stret123 »

hi everyone,
my daughter failed her urmston exam by 7 marks. :( But i have decided to appeal. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about it. Thanks
emsy

Post by emsy »

The appeal advice on this site is very good - I found it when I was appealing for Sale Grammar 2 years ago.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

There is also an appeals section on the forum.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=35

Good luck.
Dougal

Post by Dougal »

Hi stret123,
the information that emsy has posted is really good advice.
I went into my dd's school today to see if they would fill in the form that came with the results letter to support my case. The Headmaster and Year 6 teacher usually fill it in together (or so they told me. This is all new to me as my eldest two passed all the Trafford exams comfortably)
I am then going to write a covering letter and get a letter from the optician to support my mitigating circumstance.
The school were quite negative about my chances of getting into the school even if I win the appeal, due to the fact that I live outside the catchment area. They needed a little persuading to write the appeal letter. But as I pointed out, even though the chances are slim, I have to do the best that I can for my Dd.

Good luck