11+ for younger pupils

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

11+ for younger pupils

Post by 2002 »

Hello everyone, new to the forum, and I'm glad I found it. :D

My wife just asked me a question and I wonder whether anyone can assist....

She asked whether there were different papers for children, (like ours) who are August kids, and therefor are almost a year younger than their peers taking the test. Or are they one paper for all children within the academic year?

Many thank for your replies in advance, and good site. :wink:

Regards
no_ball

Re: 11+ for younger pupils

Post by no_ball »

standardised score with age, everyone sits the same paper for that year.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

No,they all sit the same papers but they are age standardised so children born in August get a few extra points due to their age. Doesn't sound like much but it can make the difference! :D
red raver

Post by red raver »

Hi can someone explain to me what "standardised" means in relation to the tests. Do the summer born children get extra marks on all the papers or overall. Very confused :?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

http://www.kent.gov.uk/education_and_le ... -plus.aspx

According to the website all the multiple choice tests are standardised, so not the writing paper. The purpose is to compare the results in order to rank children.

The age standardisation will be run separately for each exam. Age standardisation is meant to make an allowance in the difference (if any) of the youngest and oldest children. If the oldest and youngest children do equally well then there will be no adjustment of the scores.

http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... sation.cfm
http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... scores.cfm
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

put standardised in the search box - there are many posts on this site that explain it - and discussions about it :)
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

With age standardisation your child will be compared to those of the same age only. It's not extra marks as such. EG; roughly the Aug child will be compared with the Aug child and the Oct child will be compared with the Oct child.
stayincalm

Post by stayincalm »

Gosh - very confusing, so really the extra points are only available if all august children do less well! Is it poss that when kids do sat tests they may get a high score but on the 11 plus will be lower cos all the kids taking it are of a certain ability. What I mean is that a ss of 100 would mean a fail but they could still be above average , say at the lower end of the top 25 per cent? Have never fully understood the scoring and just trying to prepare for every eventuality and understand ss in relation to the fact that limited population of kids take it? :!:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

standardisation is a statistical tool which irons out things like age and difficulty of test...it is difficult to get your head around, but it is fair
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now