School Lockers or lack of!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Plum

School Lockers or lack of!

Post by Plum »

We have been waiting since the beginning of term for DS to be issued with a school locker, then last week he told me that as the school were not going to be issuing any lockers to the Yr 7s. The boys have to carry their school bags, sports bags and now coats around with them all day. I did ring up the school today to query whether there was a cloakroom where they could leave sports bags and coats but was told there was not. They also confirmed that there would be no lockers for this year due to lack of money to replace/repair them but they managed to find nearly £20,000 to install a biometric payment scheme in the canteen.

Do you think I will be able to send the osteopath's bill to the school as DS is already complaining of his back aching!!!!!

Does anyone else have this problem? Or have had it and managed to get around it? I'm even considering going to the PTA meeting this week......

Plum
Snowdrops

Re: School Lockers or lack of!

Post by Snowdrops »

Not quite the same I know, but dd's school locker is soooooo small she can hardly get the books in and certainly can't get her pe kit, bag or coat in. Not worth having in my opinion. Bring back the full length lockers I say.

Perhaps your only recourse will be to fund raise for the lockers :!:
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

A lot of schools including DS's do not have lockers, they do get used to lugging everything around the place.
Plum

Post by Plum »

Fundraising! That was why I was thinking of going along to the PTA meeting.....

The Deputy Head said that they couldn't use the existing lockers as the locks were broken, so OH kindly offered to go in one Saturday with his angle grinder and take all the doors off. At least that way they would at least have a cubby hole!

Speaking in the playground to other parents who's DCs have gone up to high school this year, it does seem to be a common theme whatever the school and I'm sure he will get used to it, but it just seems a bit cruel.....
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

does seem a problem - we used to just hang things up on a peg at school and leave books etc in desks .... now all the books live at home and get lugged round all day - together with the coat, well the coat they wore for the first few days - school is less than 200 yds so coats no longer worn.

Sports kit stays in school locker on the day of PE but not otherwise.. I would have been hopeless - woudl have endlessly forgotten ( :idea: I hated PE - perhaps teachers realised we would never bring the stuff in if it wasn't permanently in school
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

It is a problem. Lockers are usually too small for everrything. Then they are usually on the other side of the campus where child has forgotten to get everthing he needs, or has left books in locker so can't do homework, then gets a detention.

No easy solution, even with bigger lockers, the other issues come into play. Far easier to carry what they need about with them, and they do soon get used to it.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

It seem that most schools (in our area at least) are now locker free. My daughter's school seems to be the only exception; where they have 2 lockers - one with a key for PE kit and an 'unlockable locker' for books, etc.

My son's school has no lockers and the boys have to lug their stuff around with them, including games kit & guitar on Monday. The games field is a mile away and the boys trudge there & back with all their stuff in all weathers.

However, where do I find the problems...? Of course, with my reasonably on-the-ball daughter who frequently manages to forget her PE locker key and/or leave important books/work in her locker overnight when she needs them at home.

In my opinion, the lack of lockers at my son's school is, given his less that organised nature, a good thing!
WorriedRuby

Post by WorriedRuby »

In my opinion, the lack of lockers at my son's school is, given his less that organised nature, a good thing!

yes, same opinion here, now PE and games kits gets washed every week as they don't fit in the small locker.

Hopefully carrying the kit and all the books will make him stronger!
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

My son's school do have lockers, but to be honest, i'm not sure they are really worth it. He has very rarely uses it! He takes his games kit in on the days he has it and then it's at home again. Put it this way, if he loses his lock/key again I won't bother paying for a replacement!
Plum

Post by Plum »

OK - you're starting to convince me that maybe lockers aren't so good! It would just be nice if they could leave their kit and coats somewhere instead of having to lug them around all day. Bring back the cloakroom????
So far, DS has only forgotten one book and his art apron (it's a hideous victorian type smock so I didn't really blame him!)

Plumx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now