High spelling age: careless speller!

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ourmaminhavana

High spelling age: careless speller!

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I'm looking for a bit of advice as to how to motivate DS who has just started at secondary school. He is a capable speller, however makes appallingly careless spelling errors on a frequent basis. :roll: I once used to teach a checklist of the different types of errors students make which I should probably try and dig out for him. He came home today and mentioned that he, along with half the class, had the spelling age of 15.10 which rather than cheering me up only increased my frustration. :lol: What I'm wondering is whether to use a tinsy bit of bribery eg more computer time or just try persuasion (again). As a former English teacher I find this particularly galling!

Ed. Having reread this it's suddenly struck me that perhaps it's deliberate: the great spelling rebellion :lol:
watfordmum66

Re: High spelling age: careless speller!

Post by watfordmum66 »

My Ds also is capable but makes appalling mistakes quite often due to rushing and not taking the time to check. I have failed to find anyway way to improve this so would be interested in any tips. It really is not helpful when he gets fab marks in English :x If I had marked it my red pen would have been very busy :shock: . Sadly he is year 8 now and no motivation whatsoever to improve / check spellings
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I think it is quite common for children to be able to spell extremely well on a 'spelling test', but then it's a completely different story when it comes to doing it throughout their work. Far too lazy to care I think! :lol:
WorriedRuby

Post by WorriedRuby »

Hello,

Just discovered my ds1 has developed this habbit too : :shock: , did any of you find solution to this problem?