Anybody from Bristol

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bristolmom

Anybody from Bristol

Post by bristolmom »

Hi , this is my first post , though I have been a keen listener past few weeks .. our DS is taking the 11+ .Wondering if there is anyone else from Bristol taking the Gloucestershire exams. Good luck to all .
littlebaker

Re: Anybody from Bristol

Post by littlebaker »

Hi, this is my first post and I also live in Bristol. My two are still very young but our thoughts have turned to the grammars in Glouc. Just wondered if, like us, you would have to move if your DS gets in. Surely you don't plan to travel all the way up there every day? Just wondered, as sometimes I think we're a bit mad to be considering schools so far away but finding out that you're from Bristol and was a little reassuring.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Not from Bristol - but when we looked round the High school for Girls in Gloucester, we were told that there were children who came from Bristol on the train - High school for Girls is near the train station in Glos. - think Sir Thomas Rich's is near High School so imagine the train is a possibility for there too.

Marling and Stroud High are both walking distance from the train station in Stroud, although my DH who works in Bristol says the train link is pretty rubbish between Stroud and Bristol!

Children do come from all over to go to the Grammar Schools - It's just a question of whether the travelling is worth it.

Pixiequeen
bristolmom

Post by bristolmom »

Thank You for the replies
Train is indeed the best option from Bristol to Cheltenham ,it takes around 30 minutes and Pates is at walkable distance from Cheltenham spa.
If our DS gets into Pates ..we think it will be worth the trouble :) :?:
cairo

Post by cairo »

Not from Bristol myself, but I know two families from South Gloucs (Bristol way) with children in GSs here. One is trying to buy a house here to be closer to the school.
Milla

Post by Milla »

I've been thinking about this post, and whether to reply.

My kneejerk reaction was remembering my reaction when initially shown round Pate's when I was in a happenstance grouping with a family from Oxford and a family from London. At the time I was panicked at the thought of all this extra competition (!!) but also at the practicalities they had ahead of them should their child be successful in the test.

Then this morning, exhausted, rising at 6.50 in order to get one son to the bus stop 5 miles away for Tommy's (bus has to go at about 7.40 to miss the traffic, meaning the children are at school by about 8, I think), while the Pate's son can stroll across the road for his bus at 7.45, I thought that this is the extreme at which I would put my child through in order to attend school. (OK, we're raw still from a 4 minute walk to primary, leaving home at 8.46 and it all takes a bit of adjusting!) Then I thought of having to fight my way to Temple Meads or Parkway (not known, esp the former, I think, for traffic free access) and of getting the train (that bit not too bad) but then the walk through, forgive me denizens (most of whom I'm sure are lovely), parts of Cheltenham which are not all of them deemed to be 100% salubrious wearing that uniform all on my own at 11. In a strange town. And then having to do it all again backwards at the end of the day after a full on-day (they do key stage 3 in 2 years, not 3). For 7 years.

If Pate's is your bag (and, as a parent a month in, I can say that so far it's fab) then why not move up here? I think that a commute is fairer on an adult, if work is in Bristol, than on a child. Otherwise, I know that Bristol isn't as good with its schools as it should be (I'm from there originally) but Cotham's OK isn't it? and BGS is free now?

(edited for typo - perfectionist nonsense!)
Last edited by Milla on Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
naivemum

Post by naivemum »

I have to agree. My DS is in Y7 at Tommies. He's loving it but finding it very tiring! When looking around the schools - both Pates and Tommies the staff explained that a main concern were pupils with long journey's - apparently lots can't stay awake in afternoon lessons!

The schools are great but so are some of the Bristol ones too! An early start is fine in the summer with bright mornings but as it is getting darker I have to say I'm struggling with the early bus too!!

I don't want to put you off, but we didn't look at Crypt because we felt it was too far and we live in Cheltenham. I would also add I don't think Pates is a short walk from Cheltenham Spa train station.

I hope this helps and isn't too negative!!
chatternatter

Post by chatternatter »

After reading last post would like to add that although i have lived in various parts of cheltenham for most of my life, i would not let my 11 yr old child walk from the train station to pates, they pass through many areas of cheltenham that are slightly less desireable and with the pates uniform would stand out walking through. Not painting cheltenham in a bad light, and im sure all wd b fine but its a big ask for a 11yr old to have such a trek at both ends of the day
allovernow

Post by allovernow »

naivemum wrote:I would also add I don't think Pates is a short walk from Cheltenham Spa train station.
Agree with that - Google maps shows the quickest walk is 1.3 miles.
cheltgirl

Post by cheltgirl »

Obviously the lady from Bristol hasn't actually done the walk from the station to Pates. If she had, she would have had a re-think.