Applying for schools in 2 LEAs

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
AlisonR

Applying for schools in 2 LEAs

Post by AlisonR »

A friend is looking at secondary schools for next year and lives in Hertfordshire but close to the county border. Her DC currently goes to a primary school outside of Herts but I believe that an application should be made to the LEA in which the child lives.

She wants to apply for schools in more than 1 LEA, does she have to apply to all LEAs separately or does she just list her 3 choices [from the various LEAs] on her Hertfordshire application? Should she send her application to all the LEAs or does Herts pass these on automatically?

The Herts school admissions page indicates that the other LEA schools should be listed on her Herts application but they don't give any indication of whether she needs to contact the other LEAs directly.

Thanks for any help
Alison
hermanmunster

Re: Applying for schools in 2 LEAs

Post by hermanmunster »

you have one CAF from your "home" LEA - put all the schools she wants on there regardless of the LEA the school is in. The LEAs get quite used to this and liase re choices. As we were moving all 3 ours schools were 100 miles away - the home LEA did not bat an eyelid - just had some nice chats with their colleagues and had to hand do the offer letter as the computer could not cope.
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

Thanks for the quick response hermanmunster. This clears things up. Amused that the computer couldn't cope with your offer letter. :)

Alison
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yes - good one ... we heard (unofficially) from the school's LEA (the number passing was under PAN which helped !)

However no letter appeared ... so I rang the home LEA and got .... "ah yes.... that one- I'll ring you back" . very helpful lady - the ringing back was to ensure that I was who I said I was as I was at the number on the form and she explained over the phone.
resmum

Post by resmum »

We also had this problem, having applied for schools in a different LEA.

The LEA sent us a letter offering us our 2nd choice and it was only on ringing our first choice school to find out where my DD was on the waiting list that we discovered she had in fact qualified for a place there.

Moral of the story - if you are applying to schools in another LEA and get offered lower ranked choices, check with the higher ranked schools that your child hasn't been allocated a place there.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

resmum wrote:We also had this problem, having applied for schools in a different LEA.

The LEA sent us a letter offering us our 2nd choice and it was only on ringing our first choice school to find out where my DD was on the waiting list that we discovered she had in fact qualified for a place there.

Moral of the story - if you are applying to schools in another LEA and get offered lower ranked choices, check with the higher ranked schools that your child hasn't been allocated a place there.

When was that? It used to happen when people filled in an application for each LEA - but should not happen now!
resmum

Post by resmum »

About 4 years ago. Didn't investigate why this had happened so don't know whether the fault was their LEA not passing on the allocation information or our local LEA losing the information.

In such a complicated system errors are going to occur from time to time. Interestingly in my son's year at school there are two boys with the same christian name and (fairly unusual) surname. I can imagine a situation where someone seeing the two names on an allocation list thinks one is a duplicate and deletes it.