What does anyone know about scores? Some queries..

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

happychap

What does anyone know about scores? Some queries..

Post by happychap »

Hello again!

Now we are ready for Saturday, in fact, surprisingly relaxed about it, I have started to think about next week.

I wonder if anyone can give some insight into the scores please.

I know that the top 160 scores for those sitting at Pates are ranked, so you have a good idea of where you are if you are in that 160.

I also know that last year the scores from Tommy Richies varied between 216 & 277 and HSFG 211 and 252.
Figures supplied by Gloucestershire County Council on the evening they came to school to talk about admissions.

So is there any further information available about the scores for entry to other schools, such as Ribston?

Do we know what the actual scores were in the top 160 for Pates last year?

Also it would be useful if those that have received letters in the past, can tell us what sort of information do we receive in our letter? Does it just say - you have a score of ...?

I am not sure how we can "celebrate" or "commiserate" if we don't have something to measure it against.

Are the scores likely to be similar or higher this year?

Sorry so many questions!

Look forward to responses from those in the know. Thank you in advance.
muminTewkes

Re: What does anyone know about scores? Some queries..

Post by muminTewkes »

Ditto. :D
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Tommy Richies varied between 216 & 277
Naughty GCC. Obviously ignoring the fact that 5 boys got in with 215 and five didn't :roll:

Those are also the pre waiting list scores not taking into account second round allocation.

Tommies is now an Academy so may have a different method from last year and HSFG has changed form CC to VA so they too may change their letters.

Last year for the first time they both gave out scores they also told you how many children had passed and they expressed that a pass didn't entitle you to a place.

Crypt gives you your child's score and tells you what the pass mark was the previous year.
am not sure how we can "celebrate" or "commiserate" if we don't have something to measure it against.
...don't remind me of that little nightmare. The twilight zone happens and you just have to live with it. My children were warned in advance, doesn't help though when your child is in tears even though he has passed :roll: .
happychap

Post by happychap »

Aha! That's useful. So actually it is just as I thought.

Unless you get a definitive from Pates, you are in no man's land until things have bedded down a bit.

When they tell you your score and how many have "passed" do they tell you what the "pass mark" was, so you have an idea how much above that mark you are?
Glparent

Post by Glparent »

Hi happychap - wishing you, and all, best of luck for Saturday! Glad we're not going through it this year :)

Pate's - you are told if you're in top 120 but not told rank or score. I think if you are in places 121-160 you find out more info - can someone else help out here please?

DD1 was luck to receive 4 passes - Pate's, Denmark Road, Ribston and Stroud High School.
The letters we received gave the following info :

Pate's - as above - DD was in top 120 so that's all we've ever found out.

Denmark Road - letter from Glos CC, stating qualifying score of 210 (2009 exam), number of girls who reached required score (233), and then breakdown of DD's score for 1st and 2nd tests. (Standardised range 138-282). States if you reached combined score of 210 you are "eligible for consideration for a place" but even scoring 210 "does not automatically guarantee a place." They offer places to highest scoring children until they reach their admission number, anyone unsuccessful in attaining a place will be placed on a waiting list.

Ribston - direct from school but same format as Denmark Road. 2009 qualifying score 210, with 278 girls achieving this. (Standardised range 138-280)

Stroud High - direct from school, qualifying score given, and whether DC in top 120, but not personal scores or ranking. (Note - very badly formatted letter - when trying to read in blind frenzy of results day, I had to read it 3 or 4 times to find the one sentence specifically about my child! :shock: )

And as you've both said unless you get Pate's top 120 it's limbo time until CAF are in.
Hope this helps a little & thinking of you all!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Which school are you hoping to go to.

We wanted Tommies so when DS1 scored in the 230's we were pretty certain he was in. I would be happy with a score in the 220's anything less is twilight. As they have only just got their academy status I assume the system will run pretty much as it did last year which is as Glparent has described for HSFG.

For Crypt then 110 ( they all use a different scoring system I assume you know that?) and above is pretty safe as they normally go down to their pass mark of about 107ish I think.
happychap

Post by happychap »

Glparent - Thank you. Lots us useful information to think about there.

At the open day at Pates, I thought that the head said that the letter would say your ranking in the 120. I understood that it would say if you came 15th or 120th. Maybe I wasn't listening right.

I do remember last year overhearing something in the playground where someone said "xyz got the highest place at Pates from the group that got it". So I don't know if they just worked that out from the scores or what. Shouldn't really go on hearsay in these things.

I am slightly concerned that the post won't reach us on Saturday. Ours is notoriously bad. When the primary school allocation letters were due on the Saturday, we didn't get ours till Tuesday!!

I think I am going to collar the postie in the next few days and tell him to make sure he brings us all our post on 16th!
happychap

Post by happychap »

Tolstoy - Actually have DD, so interested in Pates (where sitting), HSFG, Ribston.

This forum is such a good resource for passing on experiences! Thank you.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Unfortunately all boys here so probably not much help. For the two years I have been using the forum I would say that a pass for Denmark usually resulted in a place, ditto Ribston. However three years ago there were a number of children who passed for Ribston and didn't get in, about 20 I think. The girls seem to need to get lower scores than the boys annoying for me but great for you of course :wink: .
This forum is such a good resource for passing on experiences! Thank you
Also great for distraction when you are going through it all. Having a year off this year thankfully but still can't keep away :) .
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Pates do not give out the positions of the kids in the top 120, although I am sure they do know them. It would create a horrible, "what did you get?" scenario which helps no-one and has the potential to turn nasty. :twisted: Not sure why anyone would want to know what position their child came anyway. Surely it would be good enough just to get in? :D