Letts mutiple choice papers for nvr

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ritz667

Letts mutiple choice papers for nvr

Post by ritz667 »

Hi to all,

my ds has been practising on the letts nvr mutiple choice papers and scored 82% for test paper a ,96% for test paper b, 83% for test paper c, however scored only 75% for test paper d worringly low, as anyone else found this paper difficult or did my ds have a bad day.

Any repies would be appreciated
JaysDarlin

Re: Letts mutiple choice papers for nvr

Post by JaysDarlin »

Wow, what great results! When is your ds due to sit his exam?

I think the Letts/GL papers have 11A as the hardest, so your ds scored really well! Could have been a bad day for your son with 11D?

Edit: Oops, I though you were talking about the old Letts papers. Not sure about the new ones, sorry.
Last edited by JaysDarlin on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

in the old nfer/gl papers 11A was notoriously difficult. I do all the papers before I give them to my pupils and I struggled with that one

not looked at the newer Letts yet, but papers are not always consistent Go over the paper together and work out where he made the mistakes try and work out how they arrived at the correct answer. (apologies if I am teaching my grandmother to suck eggs) it may be that that paper has a type of question he finds difficult, or a 2 part process where he has missed the second part. We learn by making mistakes and correcting them.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

I was under the impression that Letts had only published a new set of VR papers, and not NVR as well.

Thanks for letting me know!
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

I received my new Letts NVR papers today, perfect timing as he has done all papers barring NFER - which I'm saving till the end.

DS is going to have a test-day today where he will be doing an NVR paper, have a 25 minute break and then a VR paper. I'm going to give him a new Letts paper. Lets see how he fairs!

I will keep you posted!!!
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

OK, some more help please...

New Letts NVR Paper B

Section 1 Question 5
Image removed
Answer C
surely the test shape is rotating 90 degrees, and to have C as the answer it would have to rotate 180 degrees?

Section 2 Q. 1
image removed
Answer D
Don't understand how it's D?

Section 5
image removed
Answer E
my ds was saying that the reason it cannot be this D is because the triangle in the question shape doesn't have a black solid rectangle at the bottom of the line, thus deducing that the solid rectangles must always go on a 'point' of a shape.

Thanks folks! :wink:

Images removed due to copyright issues
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I dont see the 180degree rotation. I just went with with elimination and only one answer remaining is C for the fact the diamond shape remains same colour and shape and the rest the colours are vice versa. I think you are overcomplicating it JaysDarlin with rotation.

Section 2 Q1 look horizontally and you will see the pattern first 2 squares and then the double squared one then. Were you thinking E then, I think E would be wrong as the 4th square is joined to the other one so makes D the only answer you can see using the previous sequence.

Section 5 question 3 are mirror shaped, try fold them where the line is and you'll see why E is the answer.
Impossible is Nothing.
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

s1q5

c is rotated 90 degrees - have another look

s2q1

this one is a bit weird - it seems to me that each row has a particular shap in a particular position, in addition one square in each row has the small square+big square combination hence the answer (sorry not entirely convincing)

s5q3

I think this one requires the diagrams to be symmetrical about the dashed line

hope this is some help
hope this is some help
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Thanks Sherry and NLM,

S1 q5 - oh my gosh, I so didnt see that.

Im still confused about S2 Q1....!

s5 Q3
Yes, I had thought the answer was due to the symmetry, however, DS did have a valid point, thus, I'm going to declare this as an ambiguous question...! :D
runningmum

Post by runningmum »

I don't have a problem with any of these questions (1st one - rotate 90 degrees clockwise and change shading of some parts; 2nd one - the large/small square addition is always positioned in the bottom left corner so obscures the square already in that corner; 3rd one - vertical symmetry present with 2 black rectangles as part of the shapes) but have certainly found what I think are dodgy questions/answers in the new papers. So far, I would question whether Q4 of Section 1 in Test D should be answer B or E as both seem to have equal validity and Q6 in the same section instinctively seems to want C as the answer rather than B. The other section so far I have an issue with is Section 5, test C. Q5 appears to have 3 valid answers (A - only even total; C - only domino with a greater number at the top; D - no section with 5 shapes).

Sorry but I'm not IT savvy enough to add pictures so only people with the papers will be able to enlighten/agree/disagree with me.