Brooklands Primary - Some Interesting Stats

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Brooklands Dad

Brooklands Primary - Some Interesting Stats

Post by Brooklands Dad »

I rang Trafford school admissions to ask at which secondary school last years Year 6 pupils were offered a first place, out of 70 children this is how the figures break down :

Alty Girls Grammar 8
Alty Boys Grammar 2
Sale Grammar 12
Loreto 3
Wellington 1
Ashton on Mersey 14
Alty college of Arts 14
Sale High 7

the remaining 9 were Manchester residents, am waiting to here back from M/Cr CC on them, but out of the 61 we know about 25 went to grammar school..does this surprise anyone?
hermanmunster

Re: Brooklands Primary - Some Interesting Stats

Post by hermanmunster »

are you surprised that it is high or low?

Many GS take up to 30% of kids taking the exam some down to 15%. Also some scores have higher achieving year 6s than other.

In North Yorks some of the primary schools get 50% in to GS - others get <10% - depends on intake and unfortunately catchment area.
Brooklands Dad

Post by Brooklands Dad »

Low - given that Brooklands is supposed to be one of the best Trafford primary schools I would have expected the figure to be at least 50%
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

does vary year on year... perhaps that was one of the lower performing years. I've often heard that a year is a "bright year" - in my DDs case it was the opposite!

will depend on the intake ... a school however "good" it is - whatever that means, can only work with the kids it gets. What actually happens is that schools are in different catchments and take kids from certain types of familes / houses. It is by no means random - if it were you would get a very different result!
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

25 got into grammar school - but how many took the exams? It doesn't mean that the other members of the class failed the exam.

Or are you surprised that so many didn't apply?

We are in catchment for AGGS, one of the better primaries in Manchester, only 4 girls out of about 45 sat the exams. Only one got in. I don't think it reflects on the school, or even the nice, bright girls who go there - more on how interested the parents are in grammar education, how they feel about local alternatives etc.
Brooklands Dad

Post by Brooklands Dad »

that does surprise me, I thought the whole reason for living in Trafford and paying these silly house prices was so our kids had the chance at a state grammar, but I hear parents again and again say their kids wont sit the grammar exams because 'they might fail' I find this attitude truly depressing :(
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I don't know Trafford but there are plenty of areas where the house prices are high and the schools considered good but the GS intake is still between 10 and 30%.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I think a lot of it is to do with the alternatives to Grammar in Trafford, most of which are pretty good. In places like Kent (from reading some of the posts on the Kent and Bexley threads) the choice for many is a great but often oversubscribed grammar school or a not so good/ bad non selective school.

Its more or less the same in West Stockport/Didsbury, no grammars of course but the comps are pretty good. We leave the house just after seven to get my ds to bus stop, which many parents would not think acceptable ( I know how they feel some mornings :roll: ) especially if they have other children to sort out ( which I don't and so less of a problem).
ConcernedMum

Post by ConcernedMum »

It can vary a lot from year to year. Out of my son's year, 17 children out of 35 got Grammar places. The following year it was about 5 out of 30. The school is at the high performing end of the range and on average I suspect it's about a third who get in.
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now