AE Tuition, Bond or any other maths books?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anowicka

AE Tuition, Bond or any other maths books?

Post by anowicka »

Hello

I’ve just stared to prepare my year 5 DD for the Kent Test 2011. In order I bought some of the AE Tuition 11 books from the site. I think these books are great which cover most of maths syllabus for 11 + and even more. Problem is that I am not sure how much should I cover from the books, for example we did the fraction chapter which I think includes more knowledge which is necessary for the 11+. In term of fraction what range of knowledge is required ?
My worries is that I would not be able to cover all the necessary things because by doing something which is not relevant .

Also I am thinking about buying Bond assessment papers . Not sure if that would be time to work on both Bond and AE books so need to know which ones are more recommended and relevant to the 11+ set up by NFER ?

I would be grateful if someone share their experience with theses books or any other ideas for efficient maths preparation.

Thank you.
Anna
new2me

Re: AE Tuition, Bond or any other maths books?

Post by new2me »

I bought the AE tuition books as well as the Bond guide to maths for y DC. We found the Bond how to do guide to be easier to use. It has a test at the beginning of each section which I used to test my DC's your knowledge. If DC gets questions wrong in the test or does not know the topic, then an explanation follows which is clearly presented. If DC gets questions right, I skip the explanation.

Sometimes questions comes up in the 11 plus practice papers which go beyond the Bond guide. It is only then, or if my DC is struggling to understand a topic, that I refer to the AE books. This approach sees to work well for us.
anowicka

Post by anowicka »

Thank you new2m.
Your way is very good, I was thinking about something similar, going through the G/L NFER papers first by myself and find out what we need to cover and then use AE books on the areas which are difficult to understand. Otherwise I am afraid we will not be able to cover everything .
I am also planning to go through Bond papers, at the moment we started the age 9-10. Are you using them as well?
Thanks
A
new2me

Post by new2me »

I used the Bond How to do 11+ maths to check techniques, with Bond ( or other) full length papers and IPS daily practice tests. Although I also have the Bond forth and fifth maths papers too, I use them more for example questions, for example if we have just covered a topic on probability, I will look through the other Bond papers for a few extra probability questions for DC to answer.

Good luck.