Empty places at Medway Grammars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rubyhettybetty

Empty places at Medway Grammars

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Just wondering why? Why do Chatham GS for girls (and Boys) not fill their PAN?

I am thinking ahead to next year when DD2 does her 11+ - would I have a better chance of appealing to Chath Grammar as they have empty spaces?
Belinda

Re: Empty places at Medway Grammars

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

rubyhettybetty wrote:Just wondering why? Why do Chatham GS for girls (and Boys) not fill their PAN?

I am thinking ahead to next year when DD2 does her 11+ - would I have a better chance of appealing to Chath Grammar as they have empty spaces?

Chatham grammar are known for taking quite a few at appeal level - also for stating that the review is unfair and then admitting a child with an unsucessful review. RGS, RMGS never seem to do this, FP used to but not last year and i think with a lower PAN they wont do it much anymore.

These are things to think about - if a dc has not passed and you are appealing to a school that is full - you have two fights on your hands. If the school has places you can just concentrate on non-qualification and not worry about over-subscription.

Belinda has explained very well why there are empty places in the medway, why its the two chatham grammars that have them is unclear - FP was on that list a few years ago until they lowered their PAN - in 2006 when dd1 applied to grammar, chatham girls was very popular - i have heard very good things about the school.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Why cant the just increase pass rate from 25% to say 27% and problem solved :?

Do you have an rough statics TM for Chatham girls appeals ie how many are heard and how many were successful? Rang the school and they said the dont give out such info. I guess the only way would be to request it under freedom of information from Medway Council.
Impossible is Nothing.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

i think he who cant be named has that sort of info on his website - you have to search for it. if you cant find it let me know :)
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

sherry_d wrote:Why cant the just increase pass rate from 25% to say 27% and problem solved :?

i agree - or pass more than 2% at review stage. I do remember reading somewhere the reasoning behind the 25% - cant remember it though :shock: :?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

tiredmum wrote:i think he who cant be named has that sort of info on his website - you have to search for it. if you cant find it let me know :)

Or PM him. I think his account is still active. See "peter".
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Spoke to Medway council and they said I should send them an email to request that info. I have send it off now and will be eagerly waiting for a response. I have asked for both Chatham Boys and Girls and it takes up to a month before I receive the information. Checked on the website you have refered me to but its a bit cluttered so didnt see the stats. Can you pm me the link please incase I am talking about the wrong one.
Impossible is Nothing.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now