Judd v Skinners v TWGSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Villagedad

Judd v Skinners v TWGSB

Post by Villagedad »

Hi all
Many of you have now been to see the various schools and I wondered those who are looking at West Kent schools for their DS's what were your thoughts to the 3 boys grammars..?

Last year I seem to remember that people thought Skinners had raised it's game and was impressive. Would be interested on your thoughts this year whilst we while away the time to the results..

Many thanks
Villagedad
Lemmie

Re: Judd v Skinners v TWGSB

Post by Lemmie »

I noticed your Bennett comment as well so I'll bring that into it as well.

First of all... Only one man's opinion and not every School is going to suit every child. Clearly each of these Schools is very capable and provides a great Education for many, many children. Enough caveats?

We live about 5 miles outside of T Wells. Our DS has a Diagnosis of High Functioning Autism and that has a significant bearing on our decision making. We felt that Judd and TWGSB will not provide the right environment for him. We were impressed both with Skinners' and Bennett and have heard good things from parents of children already at both Schools. I also know a number of boys from Skinners' either in yr 12 or who have recently left, through work, who have all impressed me as young men; Well-educated, amiable and well placed to thrive beyond School. I had heard that in one previous year in particular the Skinners' HT hadn't come across well in his talk and I was concerned, after walking around the School and being impressed with the facilities, Staff and boys, that his talk could put my OH off... but we were both really impressed there as well. For us Skinners' is the only GS that would be suitable for our DS... but we still have a few concerns related more to our DS than the School.

We were both really impressed with Bennett as well. For us it scores highly in all areas and is genuine competition for Skinners' with our DS. I can still see us opting for Bennett over Skinners' with our situation. We know that there will be a number of children at Bennett that our DS has known for years and he will probably be happier in that environment, but I'm not convinced he will leave with the results he could get at Skinners'. We will probably go for good results and happy School life over great results.

I'm still confused! and of course if he doesn't pass all of this is moot anyway.

So VillageDad... what's your take on them?
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Lemmie wrote:So VillageDad... what's your take on them?
I haven't visited any of them as yet. We are a year or so off visiting, but was just wanted to gauge others thoughts so we have something to think about when it's our turn to see the schools for our DS's.

Thanks for the feedback Lemmie
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS has been a proud Skinners' boy for 6 weeks now.

He is having a wonderful time and is extremely happy. The pastoral care and support he has received in the transition to secondary school has been great. They have a very good prefect sytem in place and this has been invaluable in helping them settle in. We are very impressed with the school as a whole package - staff, other boys and opportunities.
Minty

Post by Minty »

A while back I posted about a introductory day for new Yr7's which hadn't gone so well as DS seemed very overwhelmed (should say thanks to the lovely posters who sent some very positive and gratefully received replies).
Well, DS now 6 weeks in to Yr7 at TWGSB and my worries totally were unfounded. Despite having been to a very small primary school he has been totally unfazed by going to a much larger one and absolutely loves his new school. There are lots of clubs available at lunchtimes for those who prefer them to playground and allocated lockers make it easy for them to manage all their belongings/school books/homework etc through the day as it is of course a large site. So far it has all been very positive and am very happy that he is there.

Should also say, as it is not a school that gets a mention here very often, DS and several other of his friends at TWGSB travel to school on various different routes with lots of children from St Gregs. They universally say how nice all these children are and enjoy sharing the route with them.
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

My advice is to visit the schools and really chat to the boys. For us it was very obvious when we saw the right school for our DS; we just knew that he would fit in so well. We visited all 3 schools and just knew that Judd seemed right before we found out his score -420. Incidently Judd offer individual tours on a Wednesday which I highly recommend. It is so much better seeing a school 'in action' than one prepped up for open day. I am not sure whether TGSB and Skinners offer this. As for children with high functioning autism; there are certainly several at Judd and they seem to fare well. My DS seems to have a good understanding and shows empathy which is great.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

The tours are now on Tuesdays and not Wednesdays at Judd and yes I agree that they are very worthwhile.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

Skinners' also does individual tours during the day for Yr 6 boys - they must be pre-booked and, I think, are today. But you can make appointments to view at other times.

I'd agree that the best way to see a school is during a normal school day. Open evenings are all very well for getting a glossy initial feel but always go back and see it again in the cold light of day!
SSM

Post by SSM »

Skinners do offer tours during the day, which you have to book, and they are having one today. My Y10 DS is one of the boys doing the tours, he's thrilled to be missing English, (I'm sure it's safer for the school to have him show parents around than for parents to witness him in an English lesson :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Agree totally about viewing all the schools, I felt that they all had a totally different feel.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

I have a son who started at Judd this Sept. At the open days last year we had preferred Skinners in many ways the headmaster seemed warmer, the boys more relaxed. Judd in contrst seemed colder and more pressurised. It was an incredibly hard decsion but in the end we chose Judd as its nearer to us in Sevenoaks and my son had friends going there.

We were concerned that Judd would be too much for my clever but no geeky son. But i want to assure parents that once you are at Judd it is so different. Its such a caring and stimulating school and my son is happy and excited to go to there. Sure there`s alot of homework and assesments but i`m really happy that my son is fulfilled and loving it.

He showed parents round at the parents evening and was so proud. Dont listen to all the scare stories about Judd we cant recomend it enough. Hope this helps.
kent mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now