Appeals - data

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
joop

Appeals - data

Post by joop »

I am just making my 3 preferences for schools (I am OCC). I noticed in the Bucks schools booklet it does not give any information about numbers of appeals and successful appeals for each school. Is this information available elsewhere ?

Thanks
Sally-Anne

Re: Appeals - data

Post by Sally-Anne »

We have a fair few stats, so you need to be a bit more specific.

When you say "numbers of appeals" do you mean by primary school, and therefore non-qualification appeals? If so, Pippi posted the information on this thread: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=14635

If you mean secondary schools, then you are referring to transfer appeals, and we only know the numbers on those later this year in most cases. If you tell us the names of the schools you are interested in we will try to let you know the answer if we have it.
joop

Post by joop »

Sorry, I am not being very clear. I am interested in the data concerning the appeals after 1st March, assuming that you pass the eleven plus but don't get your first preference. I am looking at JHG and SWB in particular.

Thanks
joop

Post by joop »

Sorry, can I add that I know SWB did not have any appeals this year, but how can I find out about past years to look at trends.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I managed to get this information for the school we were interested in by e-mailing the Admissions department.
Marylou
LoobyLu

Post by LoobyLu »

Does anyone have any appeals data based on age? I am interested to know whether there is an equal distribution across the months or whether there is a bulge of appelants at a certain point (eg older half or younger half of the year). And whether there is any data relating to the success or otherwise of the cohort on an age basis?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I very much doubt that information about the success of appeals by age is collated by Bucks CC, because really there are too many other factors in an appeal for it to be relevant.

From personal experience I would say that an appeal for a July/August birthday might be more likely to be successful, purely because there is a point at which the standardisation of scores simply cannot compensate for immaturity.

Premature birth can also be an issue for an appeal panel, especially when the child was more than 4 weeks premature.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry, I too am not aware of any data relating to age.

When doing appeals I didn't notice any age-related 'bulge'. Parents with older children argued that marks had been "taken away", and those with younger children argued that performance would have been so much better if the test had taken place later! The former argument never seemed to succeed - the latter argument sometimes worked (depending on the supporting evidence).
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now