Loreto scoreing - dont understand - can anyone explain

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
used2beroche

Loreto scoreing - dont understand - can anyone explain

Post by used2beroche »

I just got DD's Loteto results today and I am a little confused ...

The letter says DD scored 428 - and the qualifying mark is 325. So she has passed - it seems by a very long margin... Fantastic!

However - If each test is 140 points - that makes highest score possible 420 - and she said she had missed a few questions as well. I hope they haven't got it wrong?

I am not celebrating just yet - as I don't understand - also last year - they didn't give scores just said if you had passed or failed.

Claire
anxious loreto mum

Re: Loreto scoreing - dont understand - can anyone explain

Post by anxious loreto mum »

I don't honestly know ... But as a wild guess is it due the age standardisation ???

Well done though you must be very proud :D
used2beroche

Post by used2beroche »

Thanks - it could be as she does have a birthday in August!

I am proud - and relieved as I will have both girls there next year ! But also part of me thinks she scored so high that maybe they have got it wrong! She is cock a hoop!

Claire
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

:D :D :D

Just enjoy and keep your mouth shut- they must be correct.

fab news ***
Tao

Post by Tao »

Hi, When my daughter sat Loreto she did 4 tests. I don't know if all are out of 141 but if they were, the total mark=564.
So probably not a mistake and congrats to your daughter!
Tao
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

I agree that this is very confusing. The Loreto website is very unhelpful. I have always heard (not being Catholic I have never investigated Loreto in great detail) that the creative writing bit of the exam is used only for the borderline cases and the total mark is made up of the English, Maths and VR papers. However, the website doesn't indicate this at all, making it look like the Creative Writing element is given equal weight to the other three papers. This doesn't jibe with the pass mark being 325, though.

If I were you, I would be tempted to do one of three things:

1. Ignore it. You have a letter saying she has passed. What more do you need? Or (if you cannot rest without knowing):

2.Ring the school up and ask them to explain the 428. You could be upfront about it, telling them who you are and what your daughter scored, or you could talk on a no names basis saying you thought the max mark was 420 yet your child has scored higher than that and how can that be. This runs the risk that if they have made a mistake they will realise it. Or:

3. If your daughter goes to one of the Catholic feeder schools why don't you call and ask the head for his/her view. They will have a much broader picture of scores and may be able to settle your mind instantly or may be able to make a call themselves to find out for you.
used2beroche

Post by used2beroche »

Thanks Trafford Mum

A friends child scored 399 but missed AGGS by 8 marks - so all the scores seem high this year - which makes me feel a little better.On that basis I am going to call the school on Monday and ask for an explanation of the scores

Ill post what I find out!
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

That would be very helpful for other readers, I am sure, as well as giving you some certainty. Good luck!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

The most logical explanation is that not all of the tests are set by Nfer. If some of the tests are set by the school then they get to set the maximum score. Definitely worth ringing to find out!
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Ding ding, I think we have a winner here!

Loreto use GL/NFER for the VR and English, but their own tests for Maths and Creative Writing.