Interesting article re parental pressure on clever children

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lemondrop

Interesting article re parental pressure on clever children

Post by lemondrop »

This article was in last week's New Scientist, I thought it was interesting: Prodigy psychologist: The gifted child's curse
Please note: The original article was quoted in full here, which was unfortunately a breach of copyright. The article can be viewed here: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... curse.html You will need to register as a member of the New Scientist website if you wish to view it.

Please would all Forum members note that reproducing entire articles on this website is usually a breach of copyright, and a Moderator should always be consulted before posting full articles.

Thank you!
Sally-Anne
Waiting_For_Godot

Re: Interesting article re parental pressure on clever child

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

There was one boy whose mother was convinced he was gifted. She went on and on about how school didn't appreciate him. When I tested him, he had an average IQ.
This reminded me of the time I took a friend's son to the Eton Junior Scholarship open day. The Headmaster urged the parents to think carefully about their children's abilities and whether they should be put forward for the exam as most years around 50% have an IQ under 100! :shock:
Amber

Post by Amber »

the unhealthy is to do with need for their child to be bright.
Oh what a wonderful phrase! I am constantly surprised by the vicarious pride parents take in the fact that their child might be 'bright'. If they are, then it is not on account of anything the parents have done, but a happy accident of genetics. So what? I really wish parents would be keener for their children to be well-mannered, decent kids who can hold a conversation and show some concern for the world around them and other human beings. These are qualities which have to be nurtured, and then parents can rightly take some genuine pride in, and credit for, the outcome. I actually have a friend who went to see her daughter's Reception teacher before the child even started school to explain how 'very bright' the child was; and then wondered why the teacher 'took against' her, in her perception. Possibly on account of the daughter' uncontrollable behaviour (which the mother put down to her burdensome intelligence, rather than the effects of indulgent parenting)? There is a fine line between taking understandable pleasure in a child's achievements, at whatever level they might be, and strutting about with boastful pride, looking down on others and congratulating oneself on one's talent in giving birth to such a gift to the universe.
Waiting_For_Godot

I noticed that Child Genius 3 is on the 28th Ocotber. It will be interesting to see how they have portrayed the families that decided, because they woke up and smelt the coffee :lol: , not to take part. No doubt they won't paint them in a good light and will role out some embarrassing footage! :roll: :(

I will be waiting with my wine in rehab....
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

[quote="Waiting_For_Godot"]I noticed that Child Genius 3 is on the 28th Ocotber. quote]

Which side and time please? (I need to set my Sky+, I will be away then) ta very muchly :D
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:I noticed that Child Genius 3 is on the 28th Ocotber. It will be interesting to see how they have portrayed the families that decided...not to take part. No doubt they won't paint them in a good light and will role out some embarrassing footage!
Or perhaps, like Trotsky, you will simply be airbrushed out of history...which would probably be for the best in the long term.
Waiting_For_Godot

Yes, well I drew the short straw. Aparently there is a 9 year old artist who has made £150k selling his work! :wink:

It's CH4 SD.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I know; I wonder if he gives his parents pocket money? :shock: :lol:
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

It may suit a parent's purposes to say the child is gifted, and therefore uncontrollable.

:lol:

As a teacher I have over the many, many years I have been doing the job just learnt to :D when a parent tells me their DgiftedC is too bright and simply bored in my lessons.

I have taught rude bright children, polite bright children, stressed bright children and frankly lazy bright children, but as yet can't say I've had one who could be bored.

There was an article, last week Sunday Times, about a boy of 15 going to Cambridge (I think) with father - they thought schools taught maths and Shakespeare in a boring way - but as he'd never been to school as far as I could make out - I thought it a little unfair.
Waiting_For_Godot

but as yet can't say I've had one who could be bored.
I'm sure it wasn't intentional but I would be worried if a teacher thought that their teaching methods never left a child bored. :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now