Head says she has to shop 11+ suspects

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Head says she has to shop 11+ suspects

Post by Guest »

Recently, I visited our local junior school on an Open Day for parents.

During the presentation there were two curious statements made by the school's head;

1) One of the parents asked what the school’s pass rate for the 11+ exam was. The head teacher refused to give the information saying that she was not allowed to do so by the LEA. I questioned this ‘rule’ as I had been told by a member of the Bucks admissions team that such information was available from schools directly –again the head insisted that she was not allowed, by the LEA, to disclose it.

2) Even more peculiar was that she said that she was obliged by the LEA to report to them any student who was even suspected of receiving tuition or being coached for the 11+ exam. This included the use of workbooks at home. Any one asking about such things would be suspect and she said that such information would be used against the student if their exam score was marginal. She repeated this assertion to one of the parents in a later conversation. The implication was that a child could lose a Grammar School place as a result of having been ‘shopped’.

The head teacher has privately told myself as well as other parents, that she is very against the 11+ system, saying she thinks all children to go to the same secondary school. It is understandable that someone might feel that way, I myself have mixed feeling about this system. Surely however, as a head teacher with such strong beliefs perhaps she should then be working in a county that has a comprehensive system that she can fully support and work within?

Of 60 children in Y6, less than 5 pass each year, normally only 1 or 2.
Etienne

Re: Head says she has to shop 11+ suspects

Post by Etienne »

I doubt whether the authority would instruct schools not to release these figures.They can be obtained, if necessary, under the Freedom of Information Act. (See the thread "Any idea how many were successful in the 11+ this year??")
Anonymous wrote:she said that such information would be used against the student if their exam score was marginal. She repeated this assertion to one of the parents in a later conversation. The implication was that a child could lose a Grammar School place as a result of having been ‘shopped’.
I don't believe for one moment that a place could be withdrawn in such circumstances. (If it did ever happen, the parents would probably appeal - and I've never heard of such a case coming to appeal.)

It's more likely that the implication was that the authority would use the information against the parents at an appeal, if the result was a marginal fail. Again, I've never heard of such a case.

Very curious
Etienne
Erica

Post by Erica »

It is complete and utter rubbish that the LEA would withdraw a grammar school place if they found the child had been tutored. I don't know what this Headteacher was trying to prove here but she/he most certainly was not quoting the LEA I'm sure. They would be well aware that many many children are coached.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Guest,

I would report this Head to the LA - these are outrageous [and untrue] statements!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I agree wholeheartedly with Guest 55 - this person is propagating totally dangerous nonsense. Report the Head immediately.

If she is either sufficiently stupid to believe all this, or is given to telling lies on this scale, she is unfit to be in the position she holds.

Sally-Anne
guestj

Post by guestj »

At my son's Prep School a few years ago both the Head and the Director of Studies stated that tutoring was forbidden and that they were obliged to report any transgressions to the LA. At the time there was a story doing the rounds about a girls' school where a girl who let slip that she was being tutored was reported by her Headmistress.

Post by Guest »

That's somewhat ironic since Prep schools actually teach the techniques and Bucks state schools are not allowed to do more than the prescribed 'familiarisation'!
guestj

Post by guestj »

Not that old chestnut! Not wanting to generalise but Prep Schools which carry on until 13 want to retain their pupils not lose them at 11. We were not given any tuition and were actively discouraged from doing so as it was perceived to be cheating. Needless to say I found out (too late) that nearly everyone was getting outside tuition and keeping it a secret.

I was told by one Mum that her state primary had the children in on a Saturday morning for weeks for extra coaching. Another said that her Middle School Head told everyone at a Parents' Evening that although he was duty bound to tell them not to coach, if they hadn't already started they should do so immediately. This at the same time that we were being warned off in no uncertain terms.

As I said this was all a few years ago now. Second time around I was astonished by the open way everyone now talks about coaching and the industry which has sprung up around it in the space of a few short years.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Bucks schools have to sign a declaration that they have followed the guidelines - so are you talking about a Bucks Primary school? If so, you should report the school to the LA -
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guestj

I think industry is too kind a word for it. "Disease" would be preferable, with all due respect to Patricia and Mike Edwards, regulars on the forum who earn their living as tutors. They are however the reputable end of the spectrum, and there is an entire disease (not industry) at the lower, more reprehensible end.

I am not sure about your belief that Prep schools want their children to carry on to 13, rather than leave via the 11+. I would agree with you that they must always "speak with forked tongue", but for Prep schools whose parents are generally focussed on 11+/grammar outcomes, the 11+ pass rate is still very important in their recruitment process.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now