Entry into KES after Y7.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

serialtester

Entry into KES after Y7.

Post by serialtester »

I know that they have a 13+ entry, but I just wondered if there are any options for entry part way through the school year.

We (probably foolishly) didn't even consider it as an option last year when our son was sitting the 11+ but after a half term in our local boys comp. we are reassessing our options. We've been really positive and have kept an open mind regarding his school since offers day in March, but I'm all out of positivity right now!!!

All advice/opinions welcomed!
mike1880

Re: Entry into KES after Y7.

Post by mike1880 »

I think you'd need to contact the school. If you're contemplating independent I'd suggest you think about St Georges in Edgbaston as well. It doesn't have the academic kudos of KES (although it's still FT top 1000), I know someone who's very happy there after a couple of years of being increasingly unhappy at a well regarded boys comp.

Mike
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I suspect KES may have a waiting list? Ring them as see what they say.

Might be worth as Mike1880 says to look at other options too - I've heard good vibes re St George's too
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Serialtester

Yes you can always apply for KES for years other than year-7.

Interestingly KES always have places because they don't offer up to their max limit

The child will have to do a special exam and will be expected to perform well. the school would probably be interested to find out the results of the MidYis scores if these are taken at the Comp - worthwhile finding out from the school
serialtester

Post by serialtester »

thanks Ken, that's really useful information!!

If you hear a funny noise in birmingham today it's the sound of me clutching at straws!