School scores advice please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
amychaos

School scores advice please

Post by amychaos »

Our three nearest Grammars (all within 11 miles) are MGS, Judd and Skinners in that order. If my DS passes but fails to get 390 for Maidstone, what would our options be? Any help appreciated as it may help soften any disappointment as this week progresses....
sherry_d

Re: School scores advice please

Post by sherry_d »

Are you around Paddock Wood Amychaos? If so there is very small chance you will get in most of the grammars that take on pass since its not in the Kent scheme of selective education however you may eventually get a place. It may not be on allocations but from the waiting list or appeal so I am sure it will work out in the end. There was a dad here who got in Oakwood from the waiting list from that way. Cranbook and Paddock wood are one of those limbo areas if the child doesnt achieve high enough scores it is a question of waiting and appeals because of the scheme of eduaction these two are in. Comprehensive for Paddock wood and 13+ for Cranbrook.
Last edited by sherry_d on Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible is Nothing.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

What about Oakwood Park in Maidstone? You need a 'basic' pass of 360 to get in to Oakwood (or whatever the pass rate is this year).
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

PC I suspect that Amychaos doesnt live in a selective scheme of education at 11+ so that sort of rules out Oakwood. I wonder why KCC do the "scheme of education" areas. I was reading MGS site the other day and they say its the reason they went for 390 so that those in these areas who struggled for years getting in would get a chance as they dont want to be a superselective :lol: . They expected 30% to get in with high scores but I think its close to 60% now getting in with scores. Its left Oakwood very unhappy and was interesting reading the decision on the adjudicators website when Oakwood challenged MGS's admission criteria.
Impossible is Nothing.
amychaos

Post by amychaos »

No I don't think i am in the paddock wood non-grammar area, we are nr Marden albeit the outskirts as we have a Tonbridge postcode and phone number rather than Maidstone and when i spoke to the admissions line a while ago she said we were fine for the grammars. I had forgotten about Oakwood. His score will dictate our choice of school, there seem to be kids from all grammars that travel through the station.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

You may consider TWGBS too, I think this year they even took kids from E/Sussex who only get places after children in Kent selective scheme of education have been offered places. KentSussexBorder mum will have more info on that incase you may need it after tommorrow.
Impossible is Nothing.
amychaos

Post by amychaos »

Thanks, i would rather he travel to TWells than Maidstone as we have family there and he knows it better, and he is an only child. Thought we we definitely no for TWGSB but at approx 10 miles away maybe we have a chance.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

amychaos wrote:Our three nearest Grammars (all within 11 miles) are MGS, Judd and Skinners in that order. If my DS passes but fails to get 390 for Maidstone, what would our options be? Any help appreciated as it may help soften any disappointment as this week progresses....

Assume you are in the Kent scheme of education if you are also considering MGS (they only select from a number of named parishes). So Oakwood would probably be your only other choice. Not sure how far out they went last year.
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

You don't need 390 for MGS. They give priority to boys with that score but the majority of places still go to boys scoring less than that. If you live near Marden then MGS or Oakwood are your best bet unless your son scores highly enough for Judd or Skinners (likely to be well above 390) AND the schools adjudicator does not alter the admissions procedures of those two schools to give priority to boys living further West.

Most boys going to grammars from Marden get the bus into Maidstone with a smaller number catching the train to Tonbridge (Judd).
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Kent99 wrote:You don't need 390 for MGS. They give priority to boys with that score but the majority of places still go to boys scoring less than that. If you live near Marden then MGS or Oakwood are your best bet unless your son scores highly enough for Judd or Skinners (likely to be well above 390) AND the schools adjudicator does not alter the admissions procedures of those two schools to give priority to boys living further West.

Most boys going to grammars from Marden get the bus into Maidstone with a smaller number catching the train to Tonbridge (Judd).
Marden is too far out to get into MGS with less than 390. I think MGS went out to about 4 miles last year for sub-390 scores, and will probably be less this year.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now