A concerned dad! re:Tommy's

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
westy

A concerned dad! re:Tommy's

Post by westy »

My son got 219 in his exam for Tommy's. Am I right in thinking this is a 'grey' area. I read one year it was 222 and another 215. This is going to be a stressful few months to say the least!

Great forum by the way. Really useful...

Thanks all.
pixiequeen

Re: A concerned dad! re:Tommy's

Post by pixiequeen »

Westy, there is another thread that I think answers your question better than I can - if you scroll down to 'Gloucestershire' it will be one of the top threads. I think what it pretty much says is this - less boys have passed this year as Tommies have adjusted the figure and also it is a low birth rate year. Last year places were eventually alloted to scores of 213, but only up to 215 on allocation day. So in theory, a score of 215 stands an even better chance this year - and you have more than that so although nothing is certain until March 1st, your DS stands a good chance of a place. Well done him.

Hope that helps

Pixiequeen
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Yes you are right with those figures but it is also important to equate them to the number of passes.

2009 there were 265 passes and the offers went down to 220
2010.There were 250 passes and the offers went to 216/215.

I had sons sitting both last years with the dreaded 215.

This year with only 235 passes it should be lower the only caveat will be the boy/girl ratio at Pates which for the last two years was boy heavy.

The time goes surprisingly quickly so I would remain positive especially as Tommy's with its smaller class sizes does have room for appeal candidates.

So congratulations to your DS try not to spoil the moment with pointless worry as we did.
Last edited by Tolstoy on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warden

Post by warden »

Hi this is my first post - have been an avid lurker for last 2 weeks!

My ds scored 227 at Tommies - but I am confused by the whole process - will this be enough to guarantee a place on admissions day? Will the school/GCC be able to offer any advice?

Any help very welcome!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Warden as the scores get higher there are less children with the same score. You should be very happy with that score as it is all but certain that you will be offered a place at Tommy's.

Congratulations to you and your DS.
warden

Post by warden »

Thanks Tolstoy - thats very reassuring.

The dilemma was whether we needed to seriously consider Crypt as an option (even though it is totally impractical for us) - so your comments have been very helpful.

Kind regards.