MGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
monstermum

MGS

Post by monstermum »

Hi,

A lurker here coming out of the woodwork :oops: I don't know what I would have done without this site!! I have a question which I'm hoping someone may answer as it seems a long time until the school office wil be open!! Do boys who live in Maidstone but not in one of the specified parishes ever get into MGS or only boys within those parishes??

Thanks so much in advance for any info,

MM
dadofkent

Re: MGS

Post by dadofkent »

monstermum wrote:Hi,

A lurker here coming out of the woodwork :oops: I don't know what I would have done without this site!! I have a question which I'm hoping someone may answer as it seems a long time until the school office wil be open!! Do boys who live in Maidstone but not in one of the specified parishes ever get into MGS or only boys within those parishes??

Thanks so much in advance for any info,

MM
They can only allocate places to those in the specified parishes because they must abide by the published over-subscription criteria. But surely if someone lives in Maidstone they will be in one of the specified parishes, unless there has been an admin cock-up somewhere?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I dont know. Just a friend's son who had over 400 points but didnt get in MGS last year from Allington, grapevine had it he may have got in on appeal but parents were just happy for him to go to Oakwood. I know loads of boys at Oakwood and few at MGS. The Oakwood parents seem happy with the school but they are all talking about their boys moving over to MGS for 6th form :? There seem to be some kudos now for going to MGS and even the boys themselves think there are more geeks at MGS :roll: .

Its also worth ringing and finding out from the MGS or try KCC admissions too and they maybe forthcoming and tell you if they have kids from your parish. I have found some schools to be quite happy to provide info even how far they went on allocation while others school secretaries are utterly rude. From the named parishes I think MGS went out about 5miles for those without 390 and I seem to remember seeing somewhere they are now taking about 60% on score yet they predicted about 25-30% will be taken on score when they changed the admission criteria.

After all if your son scores 390 and you like MGS put it as first choice you have nothing to lose because you will just have equal priority ranking for lets say Oakwood so it will not harm your chances for Oakwood in anyway by putting it 2nd.
Impossible is Nothing.
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

They can only allocate places to those in the specified parishes because they must abide by the published over-subscription criteria. But surely if someone lives in Maidstone they will be in one of the specified parishes, unless there has been an admin cock-up somewhere?
My parish is not listed even though we live in a suburb of Maidstone. Was not too keen on Oakwood but that may have been due to the chaos of an open evening. Running through all options tonight with the news so close.
I have found some schools to be quite happy to provide info even how far they went on allocation while others school secretaries are utterly rude.
I've rang two schools and one couldn't do enough to help, the other was rude!! Not a good impression to give to a prospective parent.......

Thanks both for your input.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

monstermum wrote:
My parish is not listed even though we live in a suburb of Maidstone. Was not too keen on Oakwood but that may have been due to the chaos of an open evening. Running through all options tonight with the news so close.
I have found some schools to be quite happy to provide info even how far they went on allocation while others school secretaries are utterly rude.
I've rang two schools and one couldn't do enough to help, the other was rude!! Not a good impression to give to a prospective parent.......

Thanks both for your input.

I think you should check with KCC. Do so tomorrow before the pandemonium starts.
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

Have spoke to the school and they have said the person I need to speak to is away until next week so need to ring back then and wasn't any more forthcoming :shock:

Spoke to admissions who are 'sure it'll be alright' :shock: HELP!! lol Does anyone know a boy who lives inAllington and is in either Year 7 or 8?????????

Thanks
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

Hi Monstermum

A friend's son was offered (and it was accepted) a place at MGS last year, so he is year 7 now, and he lives in Barming, which, to my mind is just slightly further out than Allington. He got exactly the 390.
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

Thanks for the info. The problem is Barming is listed as a parish they take from but Allington isnt :?
A Mum

Post by A Mum »

I think you will be ok it is my understanding that the list of parishes aims to clearly identify those areas in kent that fall within the selective system and to exclude those areas like Paddock Wood(Ithink) which do not. I cant see why Allington would be excluded it is after all part of Maidstone.

It seems strange that only one person at the school can answer your question and they are not available at the moment, especially given this week they have their open evening. Would it be worth you trying the school again and hopefully getting someone different or asking for the head?

Sorry I am not really able to help and I hope someone comes along soon to give you a diffinitive answer but I am quietly hopefull that you will be included.

Good Luck
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

monstermum wrote:Thanks for the info. The problem is Barming is listed as a parish they take from but Allington isnt :?
Interestingly, if you go onto Wicki, the Maidstone article says some areas of Maidstone are "unparished". If that is correct, it seems that some children in Maidstone cannot, strictly, be allocated MGS. If they have been in previous years, it seems some children who just missed out on distance would have a legitimate claim that they had been disadvantaged because the over-subscription criteria had not been properly applied.