Teenagers wardrobes.....

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T12ACY

Teenagers wardrobes.....

Post by T12ACY »

.... what is the point?

DS1 has soooo many clothes it's untrue, we got him a triple door wardrobe 6 months ago and he already had a single built in one. Lots of space available.

I am insistent that my boys take their own washing from the living room once a week when I have done the ironing and put it away. DS1 was always bad at this and could just about manage to move it all to his room but it would often sit on a chair for him to select from.

But this morning, with his washing having been ready since Saturday, he strolled in with his towel round his waist, selected a pair of pants and went off to his room to put them on :roll: I mean what's next? Will he start dressing in the lounge??????

Am not taking it to his room on principle but it annoys me that the lounge is like a flipping laundry room!!!!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
yoyo123

Re: Teenagers wardrobes.....

Post by yoyo123 »

I like the term floordrobe....
new2me

Post by new2me »

Maybe you could do the ironing in his bedroom instead to encourage a little cooperation.

I'm having my own battle with DS, who seems incapable of putting his clothes in the laundry basket. Until two weeks ago used to ferret in his room for dirty clothes but no more. I shudder to think what state his school trousers are in as I have yet to see a pair in the laundry pile. But he has to crack at some point!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

there is allegedly a carpet in DSs room ... haven't seen it for ages! :wink:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Oh, teenagers' bedrooms - tell me about it!!!

When my son was going through that 'teenage stage' it used to wind me up soooooooo much, we'd have endless rows, and all it did was create bad feeling between us and it really wasn't worth the hassle. I got round this in several ways.

First of all I stopped ironing - I now only iron clothes when I need them (mostly it was because I got fed up of ironing stuff, putting it away in over-stuffed wardrobes and then said clothes getting ruined and needing ironing again before they could be worn).

Secondly I requseted only one thing from him - that he put his pile of clothes in his room (what he did with them after that was up to him :shock: )

Thirdly, and most satisfyingly of all, I just closed his bedroom door. I made it plain to him I was happy to hoover his room and gave him fair warning when it was cleaning time so, if he wanted his room cleaned he had to pick things up off the floor. If not, they could stay there.

We got on exceedingly well after that. Now he's in his own flat and looks after it very well, whereas I have gone the other way :shock: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: - far too much time spent on here :D :D :D

DD is very good. Although her room can become untidy, she does keep mostly on top of it so I consider her a success :lol: :lol: :lol: Now, if only I can get her to hoover up down stairs :D :D :D
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I "close" the kitchen until chores are done.
andyb

Post by andyb »

magwich2 wrote:I "close" the kitchen until chores are done.
That is an idea I like very much :wink:
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

My DC get pocket money only if they do their chores which include having a reasonably tidy bedroom...
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

LOL - We have a 'closed' kitchen at times, started being after 9.30pm because I got fed up with DS1 coming home at all hours and heating up a ready meal so late in the evening. He ignored that by being quieter and not being around in the morning for me to moan at the state of the kitchen, with dishes on the side etc.

I also close the bedroom door and don't hover unless it is at a scheduled time. If the room ain't tidy, the cleaner doesn't go in :lol:

Have also realised my boys sound like total slobs :? DS2 is the complete reverse and has a touch of OCD, and DS3 is somewhere in the middle.

We don't row about it anymore, I was just astonished with the saunterig in to the room in a towel and taking only what he needed. :lol:
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.