Year 8 levels

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sally40

Year 8 levels

Post by sally40 »

I have just received my ds year 8 report with his levels and i hope it is ok to post them on here in hope of some feedback on how he is doing as i have no other way to compare it to as to how he is getting on , he is at grammar school , thank you. Maths 6b English 5a Geography 6c Dt 6c Science 5A Religion 6b Ict 5b Latin 4c German 5c started this in yr 7 Spanish 3b started in year 8 Music 6c History 5c :?
Rugbymum

Re: Year 8 levels

Post by Rugbymum »

Did the school also give you his target levels?

If not, I think there is a website somewhere showing the levels a child at the end of year 9 is expected to get...
sally40

Post by sally40 »

Thanks for reply but no they havent given target levels and at my ds school they do ks3 in two years :?
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

My DS's school (like many grammar schools) are also doing KS3 in 2 years. If I were you, I would contact the school and ask for target levels.

Generally the average 14 year old should get level 5 but with a grammar school, I suspect they expect higher levels in some subjects for your child by the time he reaches end of KS3.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

is he just starting year 8 ? :)
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

Yr 8 students (for year end) are expected to reach levels 5 and 6.

This link might help

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk ... tml#levels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down to about half way.

We get expected level of achievement and gained level of achievement so have something to compare the results against.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Im a bit :? by this. Admittedly we are a long way from year 8 as ds1 has just done his entrance test. On the appeals page we are advised that they need to be at level 5,yet we are still at these levels 2 years on. Am I missing something?
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Cheers for the link KSB. For ease, I've captured it and display it here:

T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

turtleglos wrote:Im a bit :? by this. Admittedly we are a long way from year 8 as ds1 has just done his entrance test. On the appeals page we are advised that they need to be at level 5,yet we are still at these levels 2 years on. Am I missing something?
You often find a level 5 in primary is not the same as when they get to secondary. No idea why, but it happens and they seem to backwards slightly again before shooting off forwards again :?
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks for that link. It's a pity the Year 7 levels are missing! :) I've been wondering about this myself as if they're at level 5a/6c which I imagine a lot of grammar school children are at the beginning of Year 7 presumably they are expected to make a certain amount of progress by the end of Key Stage 3. However, I can't remember how many grades they go up a term/year.
It's interesting too, that some schools condense KS3 into 2 years, although if they're 5a/6 when they begin it would appear to make sense. If they take 3 years but the children enter at a fairly reasonable level what do they do in the third year? Would I have been told if my son's school did it in two years? I expect so? :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now