School choices

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
spooky69

School choices

Post by spooky69 »

In the West Kent area and was looking at Judd, Skinners and TW Boys Grammar in that order as son's preferred choices. Unfortunately he has scored only 380. Can anyone give an indication of what this score means in terms of potential to get into any of those schools and what other schools in the area should be considered, given that 4 choices are required.

Also, does it reduce the chance of entry if a particular school is put as second choice instead of first choice?
kentsussexborder

Re: School choices

Post by kentsussexborder »

If you are withing the selective area of West Kent then you should gain a place at TWBGS as they will take on distance not score. Unfortunately, with 380 you are unlikely to gain a place at either Judd or Skinners' unless you go to appeal. If you think there were mitigating circumstances for an unexpectedly low score then it would still be worth putting Judd or Skinners' on your CAF so that you can appeal as you can't appeal for a school for which you haven't made an application.

The schools do not know which order you place them on the CAF - so you should always place your first preference first, even if you think it unlikely to gain a place. The schools allocate on their criteria regardless of where you placed them on your CAF e.g. if on score they will fill on the highest, say, 125 scores; if on distance, the closest 125 children. Once the LEA has received the lists from the school if your first choice is not available then your second choice is taken into consideration and if there were places there, you would be offered this. If your second choice was not available and there were places at your third choice you would be offered this and so on down the list. It is always worthwhile considering a "safe" option e.g. a non-selective school in which you would be likely to gain a place in order to avoid being offered a school you really DON'T want.

edited to make more sense and get rid of typos!
spooky69

Post by spooky69 »

Thanks for the response. That is unfortunately as I feared. I live in Sevenoaks and have no idea what other school(s) would be suitable alternatives.
doodles

Post by doodles »

There are some non-grammar alternatives. If you are a regular churchgoer there is Bennett Memorial and St Gregorys if you are Catholic. There is also Hayesbrook in Tonbridge, though I don't know anything about it or its admissions criteria - it may be worth looking into. In Sevenoaks itself there is the "new" Knole Academy.
spooky69

Post by spooky69 »

Thanks for the reply. We are not churchgoers and not Catholic. The other schools mentioned are not of any interest.
sp

Post by sp »

Where do you live? TWGSB takes boys who have passed the 11+ regardless of score so distance is the only factor. The school web site may have details of previous catchment areas but usually it extends a fair way.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I think Spooky lives in Sevenoaks - how far the "catchment" for TWGSB comes into Sevenoaks seems to vary every year so it is very dependent on whereabouts in Sevenoaks you live.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

spooky69 wrote:Unfortunately he has scored only 380.
Just to say your son did VERY well Spooky, I could bite your fingers off for that score. :lol:
Impossible is Nothing.
spooky69

Post by spooky69 »

We are living near Amherst school so that is the north side of the town.

I have read what happened and feel for you sherry_d - it must be terribly hard. My boy missed one year of his education after being moved up a year so he did do well to pass, but it is always upsetting when things do not turn out as you want them to, and especially when you are only 10 years of age. Things tend to sort themselves out over time and usually end up being just fine, but it doesn't make it easier at the time!
idc

Post by idc »

You will not get in to Judd or Skinners with that score. However TWGSB does have pupils from as far away as Sevenoaks so that is probably your best bet, it's a pity you live on the Northern side of Sevenoaks. Failing that you need to look at all other schools in the area, go private, or try your luck on the St Olaves exam (there is a couple of days left to apply for this).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now