we are moving after we have selected our grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anon*

we are moving after we have selected our grammar schools

Post by anon* »

Really puzzled what to do!
We are on the very outside edge of the Queen Elizabeth grammar catchment area. Would really like DS to go here, the problem is we will be moving nearer to the school in around 2 months time (all being well!).....I will need to put my current address when I submit the choices on the 31st Oct - but can I change my address to the new one in a few months time as this will be our new address and will increase our chances of him getting in!
My question is - can I ring the admissions and change the address when we have moved?? Or will they say that once it is submitted it cannot be changed?
Sally-Anne

Re: we are moving after we have selected our grammar schools

Post by Sally-Anne »

From the Kent Admissions brochure:
What if I have moved or I am moving home?
If you can provide proof of your new address (eg a letter confirming exchange of contracts) when you submit your Secondary Common Application Form, we will take that information into consideration in deciding on allocation of places. Otherwise we make decisions based on the last confirmed address we hold for your child.

What if my situation changes after I have completed the Secondary Common Application Form?
Please contact the Admissions Team who will be able to give you individual advice.
It's as simple as that.
anon*

Post by anon* »

thanks Sally Anne....I shall speak to admissions tomorrow! :P
anon*

Post by anon* »

an update for anyone else in my situation!

The admissions have said that I can only change my home address on the application form for secondary/grammar school by no later than 1st December (if I have actually moved or have exchanged) - if I move after this date (it probably will be for me!) then it cannot be changed and they go by the address on the old address on the application form only.

She did say however that I can appeal. When we receive the letter stating what school has been selected for my DS from my list of preferences, we need to appeal on the 1st March and stress on the letter that we have moved since applying for places in secondary school!
SoGladitsover

Post by SoGladitsover »

I am so glad to hear that as we (fingers x'd) will be moving in approx 5 weeks so will be within that end of December cut off date. I was beginning to panic about not having it in place by the Caf form entry date.
anon*

Post by anon* »

Ho Gladitsover

She told me the cut off date was the 1st of December - hope you make that!!! I don't think we will be so lucky :( .......So an appeal will be in order I think for us!

Best of luck with your move :P
SoGladitsover

Post by SoGladitsover »

Oh yes - I read your post as 31st dec - wishful thinking on my part probably. Might be a bit tight now!!
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

She told me the cut off date was the 1st of December - hope you make that!!! I don't think we will be so lucky .......So an appeal will be in order I think for us!
How far outside on the edge of the catchment for QE are you? Can you check how far out they went last year? Bear in mind also that QE have a whole extra class added to their PAN for 2011 entry too, which can make a whole lot of difference.

There is no way of knowing how well applicants meet the criteria yet, so your chances may not be as bad as you think. An appeal may not even be necessary. If you are just a little way out from last year's cut off in terms of distance, then you may actually be okay due to the extra class that has now been added.

Just trying to help you to put things into perspective, anon*. Hope you have a good outcome in March :D
anon*

Post by anon* »

thanks frustrated - the admissions team said the furthest out they went last year was 5.6 miles (as the crow flies!)....even though on the QE website the radius was around 10 miles, she said that was probably stretched to that distance by children on appeal. At the moment I am 10 miles away - but, like you say Frustrated maybe with the extra class we could be lucky, but to be honest I am convinced that I will have to appeal :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now