Skinners question please?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

amychaos

Skinners question please?

Post by amychaos »

I am looking for someone with the benefit of experience of the last few years, could you tell me how much the cut off point has changed over the last few years for Skinners? Our HT says last year's final cut off point was 408 (although i am aware it started at 410). DS has his heart set on going there with 411 and we are about 10 miles away. If i am being pessimistic i presume it will go up again this year, but now much year on year has it changed for the last few? Praying it will stay the same or come down.... but is a big leap not unheard of?

I know no one is able to say, but your comments or opinions might make the wait till March a little more bearable or I will try and change his expectations a bit? Apologies, each phase of this has been totally new to me.

Many thanks.
SSM

Re: Skinners question please?

Post by SSM »

I seem to remember when my eldest got in,e he sat the exam Jan 2007, the pass mark needed for Skinners' was 404.

I think however it has become increasingly popular since then. When we put it as first choice people were surprised that we chose it over Judd, whereas now (probably unfortunately for you) I am finding more and more people say that they prefer it.

With 411 I think you have a good chance. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

To be honest, I think the pass mark for Judd (not sure if the same applies to Skinners') has gone up since 'first preference' was scrapped a couple of years ago. Before, you were taking a risk if you put Judd as first and TWGSB second and your son didn't get top marks. So I'm sure there were a lot more boys in TWGSB that achieved top marks, because they didn't know their score and didn't want to risk a GS place so placed and gain a place at TWGSB. (I'm not saying that there are not a lot of boys with top marks at TWGSB, just trying to explain why I feel the scores for Judd have risen)
Last edited by SSM on Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

I think the score for Skinners' was fairly stable at around 404/405 but with a little leap last year. However the score did come down from the initial 410 and I know a child with 404 who was around 5th on the waiting list prior to the start of the term.

The rumour mongers will be about of course but no-one knows for certain what the cut off will be - last year all sorts of rumours were flourishing about Judd needing 420 and Skinners' 415 which wasn't the case.

I would agree with SSM that you would stand a good chance on 411.
amychaos

Post by amychaos »

Thank you, it really does help when you have nt done this before - it helps put things in perpective and will perhaps stop me listening to the rumours that are bound to fly round before March.

I don't know what i would have done without this forum, its amazing. :D
lurker

Post by lurker »

I am in exactly the same position- right down to the score. It is a bit close for comfort.
amychaos

Post by amychaos »

yes, i am delighted and want him to know that but i know there are a few more months of uncertainty.....then the one last hurdle.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

The cut-offs did seem to stabilise for a while - (2007 cut-off was 404) and then they changed the system and immediately and not surprisingly the cut-offs increased. Isn't this simply because parents get their scores first and seem to choose by score more than they used to. I'm sure there are a number of top scoring children whose parents may not have even considered one of the super selectives as they didn't think their child would achieve it and then suddenly turn their attention to these schools when the results come out. I know of cases where this has happened and they hadn't even been to see the school.
DaddyOh

Post by DaddyOh »

I would guess 411 will be enough to get in, if not initially at least off the waiting list. I know last year quite a few boys initially down for Skinners managed to get places at Judd off of their waiting list which has a knock-on effect on the Skinners waiting list.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now