Why do we have to submit the CAF Forms so early in the year?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MertonMum

Why do we have to submit the CAF Forms so early in the year?

Post by MertonMum »

Am I the only one who does not know what order to put schools in? My DS passed Wallington - but he did not like the school when we went round in July and has stated he would prefer our local comprehensive to taking a tram and bus to there. Personally I would like to take my DS round the school when its in operation (they used to offer this when the gave out rank order!) and do the journey with him in rush hour. As the forms effectively have to be in at the end of half term that gives us no time to do this.
Why is it that the pressure is put on parents to make a decision so early in year 6 - rather than the local authorities administer this all in less time. From my estimation we have to make a decision for a grammar school in less than 2 weeks (after hearing a partial result!) - whilst the authorities have 4 months to sort out places. (I would have thought technology could make this easier for them too!)

And while I am on my rant - why is it that Surrey parents only have 3 choices on their CAF forms - this process needs a complete overhaul!
atestingtime

Re: Why do we have to submit the CAF Forms so early in the y

Post by atestingtime »

As a Surrey parent this really annoys me too!

I phoned Surrey admissions to make this point and they were very nice but not very knowledgeable at all on specifics. "Oh you are the first person who has asked that" was the reply when I asked Surrey got 3 choices but are on the same Pan London eAdmissions System with 33 London authorities all of whom get 6 choices!

"You don't really need to have more than 3 schools do you?" was another really irrating answer so I explained the specifics of choosing selective schools with no catchments (we could pick Tiffin, Sutton, Langley etc) and yet want to ensure the local comp is down as back up. Can't do this if only 3 choices given yet could sit tests here, there and everywhere if I lived down the road a mile or so.

Rant away I say!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

These posts by KenR may be worth looking at.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... s&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... AF#p166759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The posts are not specific to Surrey but relevant to the lack of choice. You can also follow up with a complaint to the admissions forum and the LEA about disparity in the number of places on the CAF
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

Hi Mitasol,

Sorry I can't get to thread that you have linked to.

(it says that I am not authorised to read the forum)
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I've edited the link :)
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

Thank you.
4mykids

Post by 4mykids »

I have been in contact with Surrey who have stated that “there has been no evidence that there is a strong demand to move to a six preference system”. Their argument is that more choice is unnecessary as Surrey has no grammar schools, ignoring the fact that Surrey children have just as much right to attend the grammar schools in the nearby boroughs (Sutton, Kingston etc.) as London children.

I am aware that a number of people have made such a request over recent years and feel that the "Oh you are the first person who has asked that" response given to atestingtime is either misinformed or plain disingenuous.

Surrey have however told me that they consult on their admissions policy annually and the details should be available on the Surrey County Council website early to mid November.

I would recommend that as many people as possible feed back as part of the consultation and let their concerns be heard, so that Surrey are in no doubt that there IS demand for more choice on the CAF to allow Surrey pupils the opportunity to apply for grammar schools without needing to make tactical selections or having to worry that they will end up without any place at a suitable school.

Please spread the word...

It may also be interesting if Surrey parents who feel the need for additional choice on the CAF could post their preference in this thread as some (unscientific) gauge of demand.
Kukoo

Post by Kukoo »

Sutton Parents,

I am sure Sutton Borough also allow upto 6 choices in CAF not 3 :roll: , not sure why you people are stating there are only 3 choices ? Are you refering to only 3 boys grammar schools. But I understand, Sutton Parents can also go for OOC Grammars ? Please check page 12 this link :

http://www.sutton.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=11237&p=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4mykids

Post by 4mykids »

Kukoo wrote:Sutton Parents,

I am sure Sutton Borough also allow upto 6 choices in CAF not 3 :roll: , not sure why you people are stating there are only 3 choices ? Are you refering to only 3 boys grammar schools. But I understand, Sutton Parents can also go for OOC Grammars ?
Hi Kukoo,

I don’t think anyone in this thread is suggesting that Sutton only allows three choices - Sutton allows six choices as do all boroughs in the Pan-London co-ordinated admissions system.

This discussion refers to children in Surrey who wish to apply to the Sutton grammar schools but are only allowed three choices and consequently do not have the opportunity to select any "back ups".
Kukoo

Post by Kukoo »

4mykids,

Thanks for clarification, I am new to forum and OOB so don't know much details.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now