Aggregate score achieved but failed the Kent test

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bee1

Aggregate score achieved but failed the Kent test

Post by bee1 »

My DD scored VR of 129, NVR 130 and Maths of 112 so her aggregate score was enough to pass however she was failed because she fell short of the 117 minumum score in Maths.

We met with the HT yesterday who informed us that the school had asked for a HT Assessment Referral review of the decision which was considered but unsuccessful. The HT gave us a copy of the referral form. The Panel Comment said that "there was insufficient mathematical evidence to over-turn the PESE score in mathematics".

We are now trying to decide if we should appeal. I am aware from reading the Q&A's section on this website and the various forum posts that this is a long and painful process.

The GS in question is in West Kent and is heavily oversubscribed however we live very close to the school. My DD was born in September so we fear that her age has counted against her. Are we deluding ourselves in thinking that we could win an appeal?

We will need to submit our school choices form by the end of October. Will we damage our chances at appeal if the GS is not our no.1 choice on the form? We are considering putting a HS as 1st choice as a result of the test score.

Any thoughts to help us through this would be most welcome.
dadofkent

Re: Aggregate score achieved but failed the Kent test

Post by dadofkent »

bee1 wrote:My DD scored VR of 129, NVR 130 and Maths of 112 so her aggregate score was enough to pass however she was failed because she fell short of the 117 minumum score in Maths.

We met with the HT yesterday who informed us that the school had asked for a HT Assessment Referral review of the decision which was considered but unsuccessful. The HT gave us a copy of the referral form. The Panel Comment said that "there was insufficient mathematical evidence to over-turn the PESE score in mathematics".

We are now trying to decide if we should appeal. I am aware from reading the Q&A's section on this website and the various forum posts that this is a long and painful process.

The GS in question is in West Kent and is heavily oversubscribed however we live very close to the school. My DD was born in September so we fear that her age has counted against her. Are we deluding ourselves in thinking that we could win an appeal?

We will need to submit our school choices form by the end of October. Will we damage our chances at appeal if the GS is not our no.1 choice on the form? We are considering putting a HS as 1st choice as a result of the test score.

Any thoughts to help us through this would be most welcome.
Perhaps the more relevant question is-will putting the GS first affect chances of allocation to the HS? The answer is NO.

If you think you might appeal to the GS, put the GS as first choice. Obviously you will not be allocated the GS in March, and your second chioce, if it is the High School, will, in effect, become your first choice. This leaves you 5 months to think about appealing, and time to get evidence together if need be.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

In the mean time think about going to view the papers so you can see where she fell down in maths. She has good scores i personally think it is worth a go but i do know if the grammar you are appealing to is heavily over subscribed you need to cover both non-qualification and over-subscription. :?
bee1

Post by bee1 »

Thanks for your replies. We are going to have a look at the papers to see if we can pinpoint where things went wrong.

We may need to put the HS first as it is selective on religious grounds so may be in an appeal situation there as well. Does anyone know if the appeals panel ask about choices on the CAF form?
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

bee1 wrote:Thanks for your replies. We are going to have a look at the papers to see if we can pinpoint where things went wrong.

We may need to put the HS first as it is selective on religious grounds so may be in an appeal situation there as well. Does anyone know if the appeals panel ask about choices on the CAF form?
on over subscription i have heard of some cases where they have asked about order of schools on CAF - though i do believe they shouldnt really ask. Yours is a non-qualification appeal so they would understand you putting HS first. So i wouldnt worry.
Even if you put grammar first you would get it turned away and forwarded on to your second choice school - where they would then see if you meet their religious criteria.
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

Unless things change this year you will be able to appeal to any school, even if its not on your SCAF. If the school is on your SCAF then you can indicate your wish to appeal straight away, on allocation day. If the school is not on your SCAF then, last year, you had to wait til 31st March to indicate your wish to appeal.
You may take the chance, if the schools not on your SCAF, that you end up appealing at a different point in time to others if that particular school has its appeals early. Unlikely but possible

Not sure i've explained myself very well - i've re-written it several times :)
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Fluffy66 wrote:Unless things change this year you will be able to appeal to any school, even if its not on your SCAF.
The admission book is very vague on this issue. I am sure you can appeal to any school but I called admissions last week and they were adamant you can only appeal on a school on your CAF. I doubt the reliability of the admission team knowledge but perhaps there is need to get more clarity on it or just be safe and put a grammar or two on your CAF.

I dont know much about appeals but if your first choice grammar is heavily oversubscribed you may want to consider another one to a less subscribed one. It will be a double job trying to convience them that your DD is grammar material and then having to convience them to go over pan. Perhaps it may be useful in the meanwhile to find more info on the girls grammars in in your area about how oversubscribed they were, no of appeals heard and the number of successful appeals just to give you a rough idea of what you will be facing.
Impossible is Nothing.
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

This is an interesting link (if i can manage to post it :D ). Seems to indicate that if you apply to a school not on your SCAF after the 4th April 2011 then you go through the new In Year Admissions Process but still have a right of appeal.

https://shareweb.kent.gov.uk/Documents/ ... e_2011.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now