School choices

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dadofkent

Re: School choices

Post by dadofkent »

Another possibility is Oakwood in Maidstone.
spooky69

Post by spooky69 »

Thanks for all the responses - very helpful!

idc - I believe that one of his school friends is taking the test for St Olaves but I have been told that it must be put down as first choice or a place will not be offered. I know nothing about St Olaves - does anyone have any information with regard to how it might compare to Tunbridge Wells Boys Grammar?
mad?

Post by mad? »

Spooky...kent sussex border is right. You put St Olaves down first IF it is your first preference, if not, put it lower and you will only get it if you do not qualify for the schools you have listed above it. As for what it is like, sorry, can't help you there.
kentsussexborder wrote: The schools do not know which order you place them on the CAF - so you should always place your first preference first, even if you think it unlikely to gain a place. The schools allocate on their criteria regardless of where you placed them on your CAF e.g. if on score they will fill on the highest, say, 125 scores; if on distance, the closest 125 children. Once the LEA has received the lists from the school if your first choice is not available then your second choice is taken into consideration and if there were places there, you would be offered this. If your second choice was not available and there were places at your third choice you would be offered this and so on down the list. It is always worthwhile considering a "safe" option e.g. a non-selective school in which you would be likely to gain a place in order to avoid being offered a school you really DON'T want.

edited to make more sense and get rid of typos!
mad?
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

You might get more info regarding St Olaves under the Bexley and Bromley page, as I think most of the threads about it have been moved there.

I believe it is very highly regarded but not sure of their selection criteria.
idc

Post by idc »

St Olaves is a highly regarded super selective in Orpington with its own test (http://www.saintolaves.net/splash.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). It gets better results than Judd etc. Worth a punt as your other options seem limited. Maybe try for St Olaves (form must be in by noon this Fri), put it 1st, TWGSB 2nd, whatever you deem next best 3rd and 4th. Then if you get your 3rd or 4th choice go on the waiting list for TWGSB and keep your fingers crossed.
spooky69

Post by spooky69 »

Thanks for that - very useful information. I'm sure it was much less stressful when I did the test all those years ago!
doodles

Post by doodles »

It was spooky it was.

With regard to St Olaves' i think they publish and abridged past paper on their website which might give you a flavour of what it's about.

When we went to see it we were very impressed with the pastoral care that appeared to be on offer and they have great facilities there. Last year a huge number of boys went for the 120 odd places but it is worth a try - you have nothing to lose at all. DS1 wanted Skinners but we will definately consider it again for DS2 when his turn comes around.
sabhasri

Post by sabhasri »

Any one can help me? I live in folkestone and my DS has got 420 in kent test and want to apply for Judd. what is my chance to get the place. is catchment area is important?. Do we move to atleast Ashford to secure a place. Please help me. I have 10 days to apply. Thanks a lot.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Theoretically, your DS stands as much chance of gaining a place living in Folkestone as in Ashford.

Realistically, do you really want him to be travelling across the county just to go to a certain school?
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

I think with 420, you should definitely be able to get into Judd.
420 is the highest score.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now