Train railcards

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pheasantchick

Train railcards

Post by pheasantchick »

Is their a railcard that senior school children can use to get discounted train travel? Or do they have to pay 'full' child prices for every trip?

Thanks!
Snowdrops

Re: Train railcards

Post by Snowdrops »

Is a 16 - 25 railcard what you're after?

If so: http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/online
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

maybe a network card?
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I think maybe a weekly pass a bit cheaper and monthly cheaper still, You generally have to get an ID Pass. A couple of pounds a week saved but not that much. I think if we went on train £2.50 return and about £10 for week pass. We use bus though as all in weekly pass is £8.00 and can be used on all buses.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I'm thinking of younger children. ie. 11 years and above.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Different areas have different rules and schemes. In London there is a card for 11+ which gives free bus travel during the school week and discounted at other times. as well as tram and rail travel within the greater London area also discounted.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Sorry, I searched and searched and there was nothing in the 11 - 16 age bracket.

My local bus company sells weekly, monthly and yearly passes to have unlimited access to the buses. The children then buy an additional bus pass which entitles them to half price fares. EG: a yearly bus pass would cost (say) £750. The child buys a student bus pass for £1 then purchases the annual bus pass for £375.

Have you enquired if there's anything similar at your local station? Give them a ring tomorrow.
doodles

Post by doodles »

If you can't get a train pass there is the Kent Freedom Pass for buses. This costs £50 per year and lets them use the buses free during the school term and also during the weekend and holidays. It is available from age 11.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

my son had one of those, it was brilliant, he went all over the place in the school holidays and -as our bus company charged full price during school run times - MUCH cheaper
doodles

Post by doodles »

It's great isn't it yoyo - he travels 30 miles per day to and from school and all for £50 per year. He can then bomb around during the holidays and weekends too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now