School choices

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sabhasri

Re: School choices

Post by sabhasri »

Thanks for the reply. I have no option to send him to Judd as he want to go in and moving to ashford will reduce his journey time and he will get some friends and train journey will not be boring for him. Do you agree with this?
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Its not actually that long a train journey from Folkestone to Tonbridge, and a move to Ashford probably will not make that much difference timewise. I don't know about cost wise..

Some kids probably spend nearly as long getting to school on their the local bus services.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I agree the difference between ashford and folkestone on the train is tiny in reality. If you are prepared to let DS go from Ashford I wouldn't bother with moving, unless it was planned anyway!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

If your son is set on Judd I would seriously consider relocating closer even than Ashford if you can. We live less than 4 miles from school but by the time DS has finished class, picked up anything from his locker, waited for the bus and then walked home from the bus stop, it's been over an hour and he is tired! He then has homework and sometimes after school activities. It's important to have a life outside of school and travelling to and fro.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

yoyo123 wrote:also Dover Grammar..but it seems such a pity to make a child have a long commute when we have so many grammars on our doorstep..There is also the fact that his school friends are unlikely to live anywhere near him
I was just about to add this, Dover Girls grammar regularly outstrips some of the `better` grammars in results.......Roger manwood in sandwich is also and excellent school
The only problem with these schools is they all stick fairly rigidly to their catchment policy.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

sabhasri wrote:Thanks for the reply. I have no option to send him to Judd as he want to go in
Am I reading this wrongly? He`s an 11 year old boy, of course you have a choice. I admit my child didn`t pass the kent test with 420 but I would absolutely not consider sending her all the way to Judd from Canterbury. If he is that determined to succeed, then he will surely do well wherever he is? he is obviously highly motivated and a credit to you.
Obviously that is just my opinion and I don`t mean to offend :oops:
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Spooky I hate to say this but you dont really have a choice. Its either TWBGS which he is most likely get into but there is a possibility it may not even be on allocations but off the waiting list or you should be prepared for your son to travel further for a grammar or else it is your local comprehensive or going private. So you take your pick.

You can still go for St Olaves too but you have to realistically look at the chances for your son to get in. Its a hard pill to swallow but this is from someone who was twice beaten so be very realiastic.
Impossible is Nothing.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Dover grammars do take children from Folkestone
Blue Peter

Post by Blue Peter »

QUOTE:
Thanks for the reply. I have no option to send him to Judd as he want to go in and moving to ashford will reduce his journey time and he will get some friends and train journey will not be boring for him. Do you agree with this?
No I don't!! You must consider everything before you commit your child to this huge commute every day for the next 5 - 7 years. You have so many good schools closer to you, and surely you want your son to have a life? All the commuting plus schoolwork on top of it - he'll' be totally exhausted. The transition from primary to secondary is demanding enough without inflicting all this on him
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

The Folkestone GS's take children from, wait for it...... Folkestone! It isn't like you would have trouble getting your child in, unless it isn't quite good enough :roll:

There is a massive choice of excellent schools but you need to meet the criteria unless you are willing to appeal. If you are moving, select a school and move into their catchment area. If you want your DC to travel across County to one of the super selectives that is your choice but it's alot for an 11 year old to do every day!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now