Common Entrance (13+)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wombat1

Common Entrance (13+)

Post by wombat1 »

Is it possible to do Common Entrance (successfully) from a state school at 13+ without extra tuition?

Thank you
mad?

Re: Common Entrance (13+)

Post by mad? »

wombat1 wrote:Is it possible to do Common Entrance (successfully) from a state school at 13+ without extra tuition?

Thank you
I think it would depend on the state school but my gut feel would be not successfully, as areas not covered in the national curriculum are tested.
mad?
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Wombat1, are you wombat?

It depends on the independent school and many will not expect you to sit Latin and will only expect English, Maths, Science and IQ tests. You can purchase CE past papers from ISEB which may give you an indication but it is best to talk to the schools and if it's the ones you mentioned in pm to me a while back then I think DC will be fine. :)
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

My gut feeling is also that it could be very difficult. The common entrance curriculum has a different syllabus that NC in many areas and there is project work involved in Geography for example. Latin and French in particular will be taught to a much higher level. Certainly it is worth identifying the schools you are interested in and speaking to them as some do have different tests if coming from State secondary. Also check that the school you are thinking about still selects at 13+ there are many which are now closing 13+ and taking only at 11+. These are usually schools with a junior department and/or coed. Having said all of this if your child is very able then it may well be possible.

We have entered a 13+ school via 11+ and this probably is the easiest way to do it. Or perhaps to transfer to a prep school for year 7 or better still year 6 as the Common entrance syllabus starts in tear 6. Many of the top public schools are now asking for pretest during year 6 and then they usually check that you are in an appropriate school that prepares for the 13+.

Hope this is useful.
P's mum

Post by P's mum »

I considered this option, and though it may be possible (if you have a particular school in mind speak to them), I think that it would be very difficult. A more realistic proposition is at 11. Even then I chose my targets carefully. In my case P had not even done national curriculum (we were overseas) so I chose schools that did not examine science at 11.

I think that the previous poster's strategies are more realistic. If you have reason for wanting to transfer at 13 and its already too late for the other options I would definitely discuss with the school.

P's Mum
P's mum
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I too think transfer to most indies from state via CE at 13 will be extremely difficult. The period from 11 to 13 is where the independent schools really jump ahead of the state sector. I'd be very careful about this - 11, or even 16, is a much better transfer age.

Having said that, talk to the schools, and ascertain how successful state pupils have been at 13 in the past. A few indies insist on "passing" CE more as a status symbol for the school than as a necessity for entry, and in reality have an extremely low pass mark.
Loopy
nell

Post by nell »

In my experience children from state schools wanting a place at 13+ will normally just be asked to sit the school's own papers in Maths English Science and possibly French. It would be impossible for such a pupil to be prepared for the full CE unless it was done by private tutoring ( the syllabus is so vast however that this would be impossible to achieve timewise) I'm pretty sure that no public school would expect a child to sit CE without preparation - there would be no point. All schools seem to vary so it's probably wise to talk to the schools that you are most interested in and find out what their particular policy is. I would always chose 11+entry as it is much less stressful for the child (I have children who have done both!)
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

nell wrote:In my experience children from state schools wanting a place at 13+ will normally just be asked to sit the school's own papers in Maths English Science and possibly French. It would be impossible for such a pupil to be prepared for the full CE unless it was done by private tutoring ( the syllabus is so vast however that this would be impossible to achieve timewise) I'm pretty sure that no public school would expect a child to sit CE without preparation - there would be no point. All schools seem to vary so it's probably wise to talk to the schools that you are most interested in and find out what their particular policy is. I would always chose 11+entry as it is much less stressful for the child (I have children who have done both!)
I agree with Nell. Many schools have a separate exam to test those not going through the CE 13+.
Better to focus on that.
FTB
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
moved

Post by moved »

State school CE/scholarship at 13+ is often available if the child has only been educated in the state sector. You can run up against problems if you had a prep school until the age of 11 as the schools then put the child into the prep category. Otherwise the exam is based on what is expected from a state school education.
confusedparent1

Post by confusedparent1 »

Hi, could somebody tell me about 13+ independent school exams? I just want to know that Merchant Taylors (boys ,northwood) which subjects they do for entry exam? And which languages?
In habs boys they listed 2 languages for the 13+ entry. i just want to know that whether u need to do both or just one of the 2 languages? Anybody have any idea about it? pls let me know.