please help-tommies or crypt???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

my2boysndog

please help-tommies or crypt???

Post by my2boysndog »

hello,ive been lurking for a few months! ,please could anybody advise me,i am so worried as to what choice to make between tommies or the crypt,havn't been able to sleep!!. my son scored 230 at tommies to which i am very proud,as at tredworth juniors there were not that many who passed. anyway sorry for the long post (and probable spelling mistakes etc) i just dont know which to put as first choice,my son likes both,he is a very quiet boy and can be on the sensitive side,as i was bullied at school i am just worried that i dont want it to happen to him. i have a younger son at tred infants,so if im being practical it would be easier(transport wise) if he went to crypt.also my son is not sporty at all,and just says that he would like to go to the school that has the least homework!!!!!. im just so worried as to what choice to make?? would be so grateful if anyone could offer any advice,thankyou
Tolstoy

Re: please help-tommies or crypt???

Post by Tolstoy »

I think this is one of the problems that arise with parental choice and there is no way around it sorry.

If bullying is your worry then you could contact the schools and ask them what their policy is on bullying. As many people have said it happens in all schools and the important bit is that it is acknowledged and dealt with effectively.

I believe this is the case in Tommies from the impression I get from my DSs and Gloucestermum and Burneth will be able to reassure you in regards to Crypt.

For me transport to both schools is the same maybe slightly easier to Tommies. If Crypt had been closer then I would happily have chosen that school for them as I do think it is an important consideration if all else is equal.

They are both excellent schools so try not to stress yourself too much I am sure your son will be fine in either of them.
BJOD

Post by BJOD »

My2boysndog,
Just a thought, but you might like to consider the likely outcome of the 2nd DS (judging by your nametag). as (I guess) you might like them to go to the same school? If your DS is more the arty-type and less the sporty-type then perhaps Crypt would be be the better as I hear the pastoral care and policy on bullying etc is excellent. Don't forget the logistics also - whilst we all would do whatever we can for our DS/DDs, there comes a point when the school trip and travel must be taken into consideration.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

My2boysndog
With a good solid score like that you definitely have the choice of the 2 schools and they are both excellent with Crypt having shaken off it's "didn't get Tommys" image. Transport is a big issue and ease of getting to and fro can make a difference to home life too. Are there public buses if your DS wants to stay for clubs, go to the cinema with mates for instance or is it school bus only. Tommys has a swimming pool if your DS likes that but Crypt seem keener on cricket and Tommys rugby. From this forum posters seem very happy with either school so perhaps the only way is to see if you can have another look round or go with your instinct and your DSs too.

Good luck with your choice.
my2boysndog

Post by my2boysndog »

just wanted to thank all who replied,much appreciated!.Quite a lot calmer now,as we went back today to look at tommies and are now decided after my panic! that we will put tommies as first place as it just just seems so much brighter and airier inside and i got a good feeling from the school,hope that its the right decision for him. as to the other reply yes i have 2 sons(i know the nmae kinda gives it away) but it is highly unlikely that my younger will even take the test as he is thought to be autistic,and will soon be going for a diagnosis, but thanks for replying,after reading the replies i do feel so much better now :)
capers123

Post by capers123 »

my2boysndog wrote:but it is highly unlikely that my younger will even take the test as he is thought to be autistic,and will soon be going for a diagnosis, but thanks for replying,after reading the replies i do feel so much better now :)
If he's on the aspergers end, then grammars can cope with that. One of my friends at school was certainly autistic, spoke 5 languages (and could swear in a lot more).
Capers